Q. Even after proper medications and bed rest, I still have back and leg pain. Why?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

I fell from the bed six years back. Since then, I have pain in the right leg (from the buttock region till feet). It is very difficult for me to sit on hard surfaces like chairs. Even in a steady position, there is a pain in the right leg. I am limping ever since. I took bed rest for 25 days back then, but there was no improvement. Even if I do a little work, the pain increases, and the doctors told me that it is due to stress and can happen from birth also. My father and brother have ankylosing spondylitis, so I have undergone the HLA-B27 test hand it was negative. I have consulted four orthopedic doctors, but my problem has not improved yet. I have done many tests and MRIs also (reports are attached). One doctor told me that I might have a disc problem. Right now, I am using Ketoflam, Supradol, Sypan, Zydus Cadila, and Pregaba-M. I am also putting on a waist belt. I am on bed rest for the last 15 days, but there is no improvement. I am also having back pain for the last 20 days. Kindly suggest me the course of action.

#

Thanks for posting your query along with the images. I have gone through your history and the images attached with it (attachments removed to protect the person's identity).

Your MRI report shows mild disc bulge, and your symptoms are attributed to it. MRI images are of poor quality and cannot be assessed. Other investigations are normal.

Kindly attach clinical examination findings if mentioned by your doctor. MRI images should be provided either single vision or using digicam (radiologist provide such photos on CD).

Suppose you have got no relief with the current treatment, you can try a course of Caudal epidural steroid injection provided that the pain is due to disc pathology, and other conditions can be ruled out by clinical examination and investigation.

Feel free to discuss further.

Thank you for the response.

The CD is not available, by the way, is it a big issue or can it be cured easily?

I have to talk about extending my leave in the office.

#

The issue appears to be mild, as suggested by the MRI findings. Your condition requires clinical assessment and medical therapy, and acute exacerbation management by deep heat therapy and ultrasound therapy.

If you have any more doubts, please discuss them further.

|