Dental Abscess

Can a tooth abscess cause light-headedness, dizziness, and a blocked ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a failed root canal with an abscess. I have been feeling light-headed, dizzy with a blocked ear. I had MRI and blood tests to rule out other issues, and they are clear. Can the abscess cause these issues? If so, how long for lightheadedness to go once the tooth is removed?  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would suggest you get the affected tooth extracted as soon as possible because it is not merely extraction, your dentist will first subside the collected abscess, and as soon as the treatment gets started, you will begin feeling better. Your question about if other...  Read Full »

Why am I having toothache with hard bump in the gum?

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain in my molar tooth on lower right side and under it is a hard bump in my gum. The pain is only when I eat or touch bump or tooth. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. That bump seems to be an abscess collection from your explanation and the infection in your tooth has reached pulp. You should go to your dentist at the earliest, he or she will get your X-ray done and then treatment will begin. First of all, abscess drainage is a must ...  Read Full »

What could appear as a bony spur in the upper gums without trauma?

Query: Hello doctor, I cannot tell if I am experiencing osteonecrosis of the jaw or if a bone spur is coming through my top gum. I have never been treated for cancer or with the medications that would cause it. I have never experienced any trauma on my top teeth that would cause a bone spur to pop up. But...  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query and attached image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Kindly upload an image showing the chewing surface of the teeth on the upper left jaw. I want to see the health of the tooth associated with the lesion you have marked. ...  Read Full »

Is it wise to remove gum abscess with surgical scissors on my own?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a small gum abscess on the rear side of my lower left molar about the size of a skin tag. I have had this issue for about three weeks, but it has been tolerable until today. When it has got exponentially more painful to eat, brush, and even move the area with my tongue, would i...  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is a bad idea to snip the abscess. If this abscess involves the gum edge along with tartar (hardened yellow food deposit), that could be gingivitis or gingival abscess. A scaling and polishing procedure should be done to remove the tartar after which the gin...  Read Full »

Should I go to the emergency room if I have a dental abscess but no pain?

Query: Hello doctor, Should I go to the emergency room if I have a dental abscess but no pain?  Read Full »

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and I can understand your concern during these prevailing situation. If you do not have any problem going to the dental office I suggest you bring your appointment closer. Get in contact with your dentist. But if you do not wish to visi...  Read Full »

How to treat the abscess in the gum of top molar?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an abscess in my gum for almost two years because I lost my back top molar and it progressed from there. I do not have dental insurance, so I have never gotten it drained or my missing tooth closed. I have taken antibiotics for this abscess twice now when it flares up, but now...  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. I am sorry for your inconvenience it is too hard to be in such condtions for a long time. But do not worry, as an expert I would recommend you to upload an image of the area. I strongly needed that to comment on any of it. Yes, there might...  Read Full »

I have toothache while chewing with filled teeth. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I got 6 fillings done a while back that were causing me no pain whatsoever or sensitivity, so I found a new dentist got the filling done and by week 3 the fillings on the left top were causing me more severe pain than week 1 and my bite was off no matter how many times she adjusted it...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The problem with cavities are either you will find out about it when you start getting severe pain or if some dentists points it out. in your case, occlusal corrections could have been done more accurately to find out which tooth is having the high point and reduce i...  Read Full »

Can hemisection be done in a molar with crown and abscess?

Query: Hello doctor, My crown has become loose as there is decay inside the crown and around half the edge but not visible. I was told that tooth is stable underneath. I saw one endodontist who said to rule out implant and he would do root canal but bone and gum are less than ideal and 50-50 chances are t...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Seeing the recent X-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it is obvious that the distal root has abscess and should be removed. Hemisection might be a good idea but it alone cannot withstand the biting force and if you can afford, then go for a molar ...  Read Full »

I had a canker sore after application of teabag on dental absces. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an abscess yesterday, I put a teabag on it to reduce swelling. This morning swelling was gone but I have a very large canker like sore on the whole left side of the upper jaw. Is this just a canker sore or something more sinister like a major infection?  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Laxminarayan Iyer

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, abscess heal best with antibiotics (and drain with lukewarm saline gargle), but something like tea bag application and other home remedies may often lead to controversial outcomes. However, your abscess has been drained, it is not a major cause of worry, but y...  Read Full »

What can be done for severe pain in back tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, My lower back tooth hurts severely. I have taken Tylenol and it is still not helping.  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You may have an abscess with infection. You need antibiotics along with painkillers like Tylenol. Get an early appointment with your dentist and get an X-ray done to find which wisdom tooth or other molars are infected. You may need extraction or root canal treatment...  Read Full »