Q. What can be done for dental abscess after three rounds of root canal treatment?

Dr. Sandeep Menon

I had three sessions of a root canal, but I am still having a dental abscess. The treated tooth does not hurt and the root canal seems to be properly done but the abscess keeps coming back even after taking antibiotics. Why is this happening? Also, how can I know what type of abscess it is (periodontal, gingival, or periapical)?

#

An X-ray would be required. Mostly, such cases have to go for a treatment known as apicoectomy which is draining the abscess by making a passage through bone. Some abscesses are recurrent which cause necrosis of bone at the root level. Such conditions make root canal treatment unfavorable. In such situations, extraction and replacement of the tooth will be the best option going forward.

Here is the X-ray before the root canal. How would I know if it is not a cyst yet?

#

It is a huge abscess (attachment removed to protect patient identity). No point doing a root canal. Even if apicoectomy is done, the success rate seems low and infection might occur again. So going forward, I would advise extraction followed by replacement after the infection is gone completely.

|