Q. Are silver fillings hazardous to health?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2021

I recently had my tooth cavity filled with a silver filling. I read on the internet that silver fillings are toxic to human kind. Please suggest what I can do. Shall I get it removed, and replaced with some other material that is not hazardous?

#

• Dentists have started to avoid using silver fillings.
  • The only hazardous substance in an amalgam (silver) filling is mercury. But that too is not reactive with the human tissue.
  • If you still wish to get it removed, get it replaced by a composite feeling.

Take care.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|