Q. Can you suggest a suitable implant for my wife, a 50-year-old with a bone density of D3?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

My wife is nearing 50, and she needs a dental implant. Should I go for an immediate loading implant or delayed implant, with or without bone grafting? Her bone density is D3.

I have attached the test reports.

#

I saw the attachments and reports.

The reports are all good. There is not much bone loss, and density D3 is normal for posterior mandibular teeth. I concluded that the teeth had not been extracted long back from the case study.

I suggest you go for bone grafting, although things look fine and there is not much bone loss or resorption. Benefits of bone grafting include,

-It improves the chances of success of implants.

-It will protect and strengthen the surrounding structures for the future and prevent problems arising due to insufficient bone density.

I hope I am clear to you. Do revert back for more queries, and kindly keep me updated about the progress.

Thanks and regards.

Thanks for your response.

One dentist from my place suggested going for a corticobasal implant. He said they were better. However, another equally reputed dentist says a delayed implant is better. So I am really confused.

Since both types are feasible in her case, I would like to hear from you.

#

Everyone will suggest you accordingly, but the patient's call and comfort are prioritized. Both corticobasal and conventional methods have their advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages of corticobasal implant over conventional method include,

-The basal bone is less prone to resorption, unlike the crestal alveolar bone in which conventional implant is placed. That is why bone grafting is advised if you are going for a conventional implant.

-Corticobasal method does not take much time; on the other hand, for the conventional method, you will have to wait for at least four months after bone grafting is done.

-The basal bone is generally less prone to infection.

Disadvantages of the corticobasal implant include,

-No osseointegration is seen. It does not connect, join or integrate with bone in anyway. It is just glued with the help of cement. Screws are not used, unlike in the conventional method. So you cannot rely on it. Even if it is fixed well and good, it fails badly.

Discuss with the patient, and the final decision should entirely depend on the patient's comfort.

I hope I was able to help you somehow.

Thanks and regards.

|