Q. What type of impression is taken for crown fabrication of the last teeth?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Jan 14, 2020

Just wondering what type of impression I will need to get if I have to get crowns on last teeth. Like will it be a full top impression or can they do it off just those two teeth?

#

Regarding the impression making, the material is chosen depending on what it is being used for.

As you have already mentioned that the purpose is to fabricate crowns, the best material to opt for is the rubber impression material (elastomeric silicone impression materials). The advantage of the material is the high accuracy of the details and it allows sufficient time for duplicating the teeth model.

Talking about the number of teeth involved during an impression making, usually, it is the whole arch involving all the teeth. That is the routine way of doing it. But there are disposable sectional double impression trays available which help the dentist to make an impression in a particular region along with the opposing teeth.

The biggest plus with these trays are firstly preventing contamination because it is used only once and for a single patient. Secondly, upper and lower teeth with the bite are registered in one impression hence time-saving. The maximum number of teeth involved in these kinds of impressions would be four to five but definitely not just two teeth.

I personally make double tray impressions on a routine basis for crown fabrications. But,it totally depends on the dentist's well and wish to choose the technique according to his/her skills and economic reasons.

| 

What treatment choices do I have for fused front teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, My front teeth are fused together. Even smiling properly is an ordeal. What treatment choices do I have? Is there anything which is not so invasive like veneers? If extraction turns out to be the only option, will my teeth be removed from the roots? Is anything else possible? I really ...  Read Full »

Other than braces, how to close the gap between two front teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a gap between my two front teeth. I feel insecure to the point where I do not smile with my mouth wide open. I told my dentist about this. She said she cannot give me braces. What should I do? Is there anything else I can ask my dentist to give me other than braces to close my gap?  Read Full »

My cheek feels sore after placing a temporary bridge. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a tooth extraction and a temporary bridge on my back upper teeth. The temporary bridge broke and I got another one. After this, I started to have some soreness in my left cheek and left side of my tongue. My cheek feels swollen and sore. I noticed two white bumps on the inner side o...  Read Full »