Q. My 3. 5-year-old baby had an injury in her front teeth. Will the new tooth grow normal in the future?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My 3.5 years old baby has fallen a few days back, and her front tooth got injured. Now the color of the damaged tooth is turning into dirty white. But she is not experiencing any pain or formation of pus. Will this color keep on changing? Can we expect the growth of the new tooth in the future as usual?

#

I went through your query. I am very sorry for the discomfort.

As a specialist, I am here to help you. As per the history (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the baby got trauma to the upper right deciduous central incisor tooth. It is natural to post-trauma in both milk and permanent tooth, leading to pulpal necrosis or pulp decay from inside. But the plus point is, the tooth is a milk tooth, and the new permanent tooth would erupt after six years of age. It is better (although the tooth is not painful) to get the tooth extracted to remove any decaying tooth present in kids' mouths for a long time. It facilitates the clear, healthy eruption of permanent teeth later on as the decaying tooth might lead to abscess formation later on, which might be painful. Kindly mention if there is any form of mobility. Please try syrup Amoxicillin 125 mg half tablespoon twice daily for five days. I will be waiting for your kind reply. I hope it was helpful. Kindly let me know if any further queries, and I am here to help you in every possible way.

Trauma to the tooth leads to pulpal decay from the inside, leading to the tooth's color change.

I advise to get the tooth extracted and wait for the permanent health tooth to erupt by the age of 6 years of age.

|