Q. What is the treatment for tooth decay along the gum line?

Dr. Sandeep Menon
Published on Sep 30, 2019

My tooth is rotting away below the gum line. I have not been to a dentist because I could never afford it, but now I think I might need one really bad, so what should I do?

#

Your thought is exactly right. It is high time you visited a dentist. Tooth rotting below the gum line is not a good sign. The dentist would tell you to take an X-ray. If it is non-painful and if the x-ray reveals that the infection has not touched the pulp, you can go for a filling. It is advised that you see the dentist as soon as possible because once the infection spreads deep into the roots, even a root canal treatment would not be possible.

In that kind of a scenario, removal of the tooth becomes the only option. Basic procedures cost is less. The expenses of treatment increases if not treated in time. Periodic visits to a dentist for a general check-up will address those concerns. I hope this answers your query.

| 

I have a low functioning thyroid which my doctor is unable to regulate. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been searching for answers for over three years. The past two years, my quality of life on a scale of 1 to 10, has been a 2. I am grasping at anything to find the answers. My doctors have not helped. I was diagnosed 15 years ago with fibro/CFIDS, and very low thyroid, which they...  Read Full »

I have a tooth filling that has come out with a lump in the gum. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a tooth filling that has come out, and woke with a white lump beneath it on gum, swollen lower face too on the other side of the site of lump. I had a dull, drumming pain during the night before. I rinsed with warm salt water this morning. Wondering if Flucloxacillin 500 mg whi...  Read Full »

Is it okay to get tooth filled without getting it cleaned post-five-day prescription of tablets?

Query: Hello doctor, Is it okay to get a tooth cavity filled without getting it cleaned post-five-day prescription of two tablets? Does this have consequences?  Read Full »