Q. What is the treatment for tooth decay along the gum line?

Dr. Sandeep Menon

My tooth is rotting away below the gum line. I have not been to a dentist because I could never afford it, but now I think I might need one really bad, so what should I do?

#

Your thought is exactly right. It is high time you visited a dentist. Tooth rotting below the gum line is not a good sign. The dentist would tell you to take an X-ray. If it is non-painful and if the x-ray reveals that the infection has not touched the pulp, you can go for a filling. It is advised that you see the dentist as soon as possible because once the infection spreads deep into the roots, even a root canal treatment would not be possible.

In that kind of a scenario, removal of the tooth becomes the only option. Basic procedures cost is less. The expenses of treatment increases if not treated in time. Periodic visits to a dentist for a general check-up will address those concerns. I hope this answers your query.

|