I used a plier to adjust my retainer. Is it safe?

Q. Can one adjust an orthodontic appliance on their own?

Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah

I employed pliers to gently compress the Adams clasp on my metal retainer with the pink palate. The reason for this was that the retainer had become loose, and I noticed my front teeth were starting to develop gaps. I am curious if this adjustment will help bring my front teeth back together.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

First and foremost, I would like to advise against attempting to adjust an orthodontic appliance by yourself without consulting or receiving guidance from an orthodontist, even if it feels loose or tight. Proper fitting is essential to ensure the appliance serves its intended purpose, such as closing gaps between teeth. While you have already used pliers, I recommend seeking a dentist's evaluation to ensure the retainer fits perfectly.

Thank you for consulting me.

You can always come back and reach me at icliniq.com.

|