Dental Retainer

Is it necessary to wear retainers the entire day?

Query: I have finished wearing my braces and now I'm wearing my retainer. It has been maybe a year or 2 since I started wearing them. And my orthodontist told me to wear my retainer once every 2 days. What do I do if I feel like the retainer is tighter than usual? Do I need to wear full 24/7 for a couple o...  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to ICLINIQ This is your Dentist - I went through your query, am very soory for your inconvenience . As a Specialist am here to help you. Tight retainers means your tooth is shifting or may be you have recently got yhe retainer activated by your Dentist. If the first option is wha...  Read Full »

Which is better to correct space between teeth, Invisalign or retainer?

Query: Hi doctor, I got braces off five years ago and hardly wore my retainer. I have a permanent retainer on two of my front teeth. Now, I have horrible overjet, spacing between canines and two front teeth and crowding on the bottom. Will I need braces? Or can I get Invisalign or even a better retainer? T...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There seems to have been a significant relapse of orthodontic treatment in the post treatment phase, which is not possible to solve though retainers alone (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Retainers are passive and cannot provide much of tooth movement by ...  Read Full »

Can fixed retainers be worn during scaling and root planing treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I have just been told that I have gum disease and 3 mm to 6 mm pockets. And, my wisdom teeth have 8 mm pocket. I have braces on now and I am due to have them off next month. I need to get scaling and root planing treatment to treat my gum problems. Can I still wear a fixed retainer? I r...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you can wear your fixed retainer without any problem. Also, you have to make sure that you use your removable retainer also for the next two to three years without any break. When you have periodontal problems, there is a high chance of spaces opening up between teet...  Read Full »

Will invisalign help in pushing my shifted teeth inside?

Query: Hello doctor, I used to have braces and lost my retainers a couple of months ago. My teeth got shifted and moved forward. I got new retainers made but my teeth have already shifted. Can I get an invisalign treatment only for a couple of months so my teeth can be pushed backward? And how much will t...  Read Full »

Dr. Akmal Abdelmalek

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Relapse is not uncommon following orthodontic treatment (braces) even after years that is why it is recommended to have spare retainers, permanent ones or if you are using removable retainers either a spare models kept at the orthodontist's office or the patient co...  Read Full »

What to do about gaps between teeth due to not wearing retainers?

Query: Hello, Actually I have had my braces for 2.5years and just before lockdown happened I got my braces removed but due to lockdown I was unable to take my retentions from the clinic as it was closed. Now in these phase of 2months there have been some gap between my teeth, so I just wanted to know if a...  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to ICLINIQ. This is your Dentist - I went through your query , and very sorry to learn about the issue . As a Specialist , I would recommend you to get the retainer as soon as possible. As it will be correcting the gaps you are facing right now. As its an orthodontic correction not...  Read Full »

How should I use Lidocaine to numb the pressure due to retainers?

Query: Hello doctor, I am trying to use Lidocaine spray to numb the pressure sensation I get from wearing my retainer. Could you please tell me how to properly use Lidocaine spray without numbing my whole mouth and tongue? I just want to target the lower jaw.  Read Full »

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentist, Endodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I should recommend you revisit your Dentist to get it adjusted. The retainer might be too tight ,it should not be as tight to take a numbing spray (Lidocaine). For now if you are using a numbing spray there is no way you can stop numbing your tongue in as you cann...  Read Full »

Can I get permanent retainer after taking off braces for open bite?

Query: Hello doctor, Should I get a permanent retainer months after braces and use of a removable retainer? Part of my overbite has returned since I got my braces off due to tongue thrusting. Partly because I never wore my retainers as much as I should have. Can I get a permanent retainer at this point? ...  Read Full »

Dr. Disha Kandi Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist, Naturopathy Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, you should wear your retainer regularly. Ideal position of teeth or occlusion which is obtained with the help of orthodontic treatment is maintained by regular use of orthodontic retainer. Use of orthodontic retainer is equally important and is part of ...  Read Full »

Why do I feel that both sides of my teeth do not contact properly after wearing retainers?

Query: hi can u please help me ? I recently got my braces off and got my retainer about a week later I started realizing that my bite was a bit weird before I got my retainer which is the waiting time for my retainer I realized that when i bite both sides of my teeth do not come in contact at the same time...  Read Full »

Dr. Disha Kandi Jain

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.Com, As per your description you having improper occlusal contacts. I want to ask about how is the fit of your retainer? is it fitting properly? In most of the cases it is just the feeling of patients that they feel some different contacts during biting. It will get co...  Read Full »

Why do I get a panic attack while wearing wire retainers?

Query: Hello doctor, I have to wear wire retainers and every time I put them in I have a panic attack and break into tears. I do not know what I should do.  Read Full »

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Retainers are worn in two situations. Post-braces treatment or for minor teeth alignment correction. If you are wearing this after braces treatment, there are two other types of retainers which you can opt for. 1. Fixed wire retainers. 2. Essix retainers (clear pl...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to wear retainers after removing braces to prevent relapse?

Query: Hi doctor, I am just wondering if retainers can be used to realign teeth? I have had braces off for a month and have worn mine religiously but it feels like my teeth are relapsing a little bit despite this. Is this possible? Namely, my teeth before braces were not aligned properly, had spaces, and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Menon

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Once the braces are removed, you have to wear the retainers for at least eight months. You have to wear them literally all the time. Else there are high chances for relapse. And yes your front teeth can be filled using tooth colored composite restoration. You just ha...  Read Full »