Dental Retainer

Is it necessary to wear retainers after removing braces to prevent relapse?

Query: Hi doctor, I am just wondering if retainers can be used to realign teeth? I have had braces off for a month and have worn mine religiously but it feels like my teeth are relapsing a little bit despite this. Is this possible? Namely, my teeth before braces were not aligned properly, had spaces, and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Menon

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Once the braces are removed, you have to wear the retainers for at least eight months. You have to wear them literally all the time. Else there are high chances for relapse. And yes your front teeth can be filled using tooth colored composite restoration. You just ha...  Read Full »

Are braces required to fix the gap in the front teeth after losing retainers?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28-year-old male. Two years ago, I lost my upper retainers. My front teeth got separated, creating a gap. What should I do to fix my teeth, or should I want braces again?  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Menon

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To restart the fixed appliance treatment all over again will depend on the gaps present. If the gaps are large, the dentist would recommend you to out braces again. If the gaps are negligible, removable retainers can be worn which can close the gaps. But then again, ...  Read Full »

My teeth got shifted after some years of ortho treatment. Should I get braces again?

Query: Hello doctor,I got my braces treatment done before 12 years, as my teeth in the upper jaw were outwards than lower ones. Doctor put braces on my upper jaw as the problem was in the upper jaw teeth. But after two to three years teeth starting shifting and now I have developed spaces between teeth ran...  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The reason for relapse are many, 1. Dietary habits, eating hard food, putting much pressure on teeth. 2. Not using retainers up to the suggested time. 3. Internal factors such as lower teeth or jaw alignment which might be interfering with upper jaw alignment. 4....  Read Full »

Can Invisalign treat gaps in the bottom row of teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old and very self-conscious about my teeth. I understand that I have an overbite, which cannot be corrected unless I have jaw surgery. I had braces as a teenager, but they were taken off early, and now my teeth are shifting. I have a gap on the bottom row of teeth and some c...  Read Full »

Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query, attached file (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and can understand your concern regarding dental health. The gap which is present in your lower left side is very small and can be closed by wearing fixed retainer for 6 to 12 m...  Read Full »

How to remove floss stuck in teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have floss stuck underneath my permanent retainer (had retainer for almost five years now) on my lower jaw. There is no pain, but I would like to find out how to remove the floss.  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Banu M

Dentist

Answer: Hey, Welcome to icliniq.com. For removal of the floss, you can use a tweezer. Another option is to try the superfine interdental brush, like Stim proxa and if it is not working out, then go to a local dentist. Do not try to mess with it much as this can cause a problem with your retainers. You do ...  Read Full »

I got my braces removed earlier. Should I get braces again?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I had braces a few years ago. I got them out early because I thought my teeth would have become straight, which I totally regret. I did not get a retainer for teeth. I do not like my teeth whatsoever. Can I get braces again?  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your complaint and relevant details. You sound like your teeth have returned to the original position. The reason, as you are already aware of, is because of not using the retainers. You should also know the fact that as the word implies the retainers ...  Read Full »

I found a crack in my retainer and is there a way to clone a retainer?

Query: Hello doctor, I got braces almost three years ago, and I ended up with a perfect smile. I wore my retainer nearly every night, but on an occasion where I forgot to wear it, it would be painful the night after and felt like the teeth had moved. Fast forward to now, I have still been wearing my retai...  Read Full »

Dr. Bhargav R Gutha

Community Medicine Physician, Orthodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com. The first thing is to go to the clinician and get examined. Ask for the repair of the old retainer to the maximum detailing possible until it could correct the two teeth. Meanwhile, impressions for your new retainer could be taken and fabricated. New retainers c...  Read Full »

How to cover wisdom tooth that grows after getting a retainer?

Query: Hello doctor, I wear Essix retainers at night after braces. Recently, I broke my two front teeth and had them bonded. I had to get new retainers and got them from the clinic but my new retainers do not cover my wisdom teeth. I have all 32 of my teeth. Is there a risk of my wisdom teeth hyper erupti...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The night only wear of retainers will not cause over eruption of wisdom teeth, as during daytime you will have a normal bite. However, you might feel a slight change in bite as you remove your retainers in the morning. It does settle down within a short period. Usually,...  Read Full »

What will happen if I do not wear retainer for a week?

Query: Hello doctor,I have stupidly just flushed my retainers down the toilet. I had braces removed eight years back and have been wearing them religiously every night since. Unfortunately, there is a storm here. So, all the dental practices are closed. I am worried that my teeth will move before I get an ...  Read Full »

Dr. Asma Parveen

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is quite unfortunate that you flushed your retainers and I completely understand your concern regarding the relapse of your orthodontic treatment in the absence of retainers. Now, coming to your question regarding the old retainer, you cannot wear the old retainer...  Read Full »

Will my corrected bite go back the wrong way if I stopped wearing retainers?

Query: Hello doctor, I had braces years ago due to my bite being the wrong way round. I then have had retainers to wear at night for a few years. I think the retainers are giving me ulcers. I want to stop wearing them. Will my bite go back the wrong way if I do not wear them?  Read Full »

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your bite may go back to a previous alignment if you will not wear retainers properly. This will cause your whole treatment to relapse and it would be bad. Things you can do is you can put some oral gel at ulcer in the daytime and at least wear for 2 to 3 hours for...  Read Full »