Q. I have braces to close the gap between front teeth. How long will it take to close the gap?

Dr. Parth Laxminarayan Iyer
Published on Jul 21, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

I wear braces, my front two teeth were crossed initially, but now they have a gap. I had the gap for six months and a couple of weeks ago they put the tightest wire and elastic on to try close it, but it has not even started to close yet. Do you know when it will? What happens if it never does, will I have to keep them on longer than they initially said? I have them since last year.

#

I understand your concern. Though the migration of teeth starts almost immediately after putting on the braces, the effects start becoming evident after about the sixth week. Though the pace varies from person to person, the gap (diastema) does close with time. However, if you need the gaps to be closed before its regular period, you may discuss placing ceramic or zirconia crowns with your dentist. I hope it helps you.

| 

How to fix the gap between the front teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I was looking into veneers and invisalign to fix the gap between my front teeth. I am not sure what would fix them. So, I am looking for some initial advice. I have attached a picture for you to view. Thank you.  Read Full »

I was suggested to remove the premolars for my orthodontic treatment. Is this the only way?

Query: Hello doctor,Yesterday I consulted an orthodontist, and I was told, that to keep the changes that braces will acquire, they will have to pull out four of my healthy teeth, without including the wisdom teeth. Those are going to be four premorals, two on the upper jaw, and two on the bottom jaw. I hea...  Read Full »

I need a second opinion about my orthodontic treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently having Damon braces for almost a year. I have attached a picture. What do you think about my teeth position, especially, my canine? I think it looks weird. What should be done by my dentist to make it look right?  Read Full »

Ask an Orthodontist Now