Q. I have braces to close the gap between front teeth. How long will it take to close the gap?

Dr. Parth Laxminarayan Iyer
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I wear braces, my front two teeth were crossed initially, but now they have a gap. I had the gap for six months and a couple of weeks ago they put the tightest wire and elastic on to try close it, but it has not even started to close yet. Do you know when it will? What happens if it never does, will I have to keep them on longer than they initially said? I have them since last year.

Do you have a question on Orthodontic Treatment or Midline Diastema?

Ask a Doctor Now

I understand your concern. Though the migration of teeth starts almost immediately after putting on the braces, the effects start becoming evident after about the sixth week. Though the pace varies from person to person, the gap (diastema) does close with time. However, if you need the gaps to be closed before its regular period, you may discuss placing ceramic or zirconia crowns with your dentist. I hope it helps you.

Also Read Answers From: Orthodontic Treatment Midline Diastema

How to fix the gap between the front teeth?
Query: Hi doctor, I was looking into veneers and invisalign to fix the gap between my front teeth. I am not sure what would fix them. So, I am looking for some initial advice. I have attached a picture for you to view. Thank you.  Read Full »
Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and attached photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity). First of all, let me know you that the space between upper front teeth, which you are having, is called midline diastema. It can occur due to many reasons like abnorma...  Read Full »

I was suggested to remove the premolars for my orthodontic treatment. Is this the only way?
Query: Hello doctor,Yesterday I consulted an orthodontist, and I was told, that to keep the changes that braces will acquire, they will have to pull out four of my healthy teeth, without including the wisdom teeth. Those are going to be four premorals, two on the upper jaw, and two on the bottom jaw. I hea...  Read Full »
Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can tell you about treatment in the broader sense. In case of the shorter lower jaw, either a surgical and orthodontic treatment is done (in case of poor esthetics, both jaws and teeth are corrected) or orthodontic correction of only teeth. Since your question is a...  Read Full »

I need a second opinion about my orthodontic treatment.
Query: Hi doctor, I am currently having Damon braces for almost a year. I have attached a picture. What do you think about my teeth position, especially, my canine? I think it looks weird. What should be done by my dentist to make it look right?  Read Full »
Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Damon braces are a self-ligating system of dental braces and it implicates light forces over the teeth and lets the tooth movement occur in a short time and needs fewer adjustments. The image that you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity), does ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now