Q. I have braces to close the gap between front teeth. How long will it take to close the gap?

Dr. Parth Laxminarayan Iyer
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

I wear braces, my front two teeth were crossed initially, but now they have a gap. I had the gap for six months and a couple of weeks ago they put the tightest wire and elastic on to try close it, but it has not even started to close yet. Do you know when it will? What happens if it never does, will I have to keep them on longer than they initially said? I have them since last year.

#

I understand your concern. Though the migration of teeth starts almost immediately after putting on the braces, the effects start becoming evident after about the sixth week. Though the pace varies from person to person, the gap (diastema) does close with time. However, if you need the gaps to be closed before its regular period, you may discuss placing ceramic or zirconia crowns with your dentist. I hope it helps you.

|