Q. I started having lisping problem after I got dental veneers. Do the teeth need more adjusting?

Dr. Honey Nandwani
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2021

I recently got six porcelain veneers across my top front teeth, and now I have a lot of difficulty in my speech. I have a slurring sound while saying 's' and 't' in particular. I always had a bit of a lisp, but now it is so much worse that I am embarrassed to talk at all because I sound so silly. I love the way the teeth look, but I am afraid that I will never be able to talk right again. I had the first appointment with my dentist two days ago, is it too soon for me to be able to speak normally? Is this something I will get used to, and see improvement over time? Do the teeth need more adjusting? Or do I need speech therapy?

#

• If you have a lisping problem, then it can be due to the thick edges of the veneers, and also you need proper training to speak properly.
  • It takes some time for the muscles of lips, cheeks, and tongue to coordinate with the veneers and adjust accordingly so that you can speak properly.
  • Your lips and tongue have muscle memory, that needs training so that they adapt to the changes.
  • When did you get these veneers placed?

Revert with more information to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|