Q. I started having lisping problem after I got dental veneers. Do the teeth need more adjusting?

Dr. Honey Arora
Published on Apr 13, 2017

I recently got six porcelain veneers across my top front teeth, and now I have a lot of difficulty in my speech. I have a slurring sound while saying 's' and 't' in particular. I always had a bit of a lisp, but now it is so much worse that I am embarrassed to talk at all because I sound so silly. I love the way the teeth look, but I am afraid that I will never be able to talk right again. I had the first appointment with my dentist two days ago, is it too soon for me to be able to speak normally? Is this something I will get used to, and see improvement over time? Do the teeth need more adjusting? Or do I need speech therapy?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentistry Oral Implantologist
#

• If you have a lisping problem, then it can be due to the thick edges of the veneers, and also you need proper training to speak properly.
  • It takes some time for the muscles of lips, cheeks, and tongue to coordinate with the veneers and adjust accordingly so that you can speak properly.
  • Your lips and tongue have muscle memory, that needs training so that they adapt to the changes.
  • When did you get these veneers placed?

Revert with more information to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Please explain the treatment options available for teeth grinding and underbite.

Query: Hi doctor, What is the best mouth guard used for teeth grinding? What is the cheapest way available to treat underbite?  Read Full »

Do all soft cleft palate surgeries require dental treatment as well?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 years old and was detected with a soft cleft palate. We had performed soft cleft palate surgery for her. I read a few articles and it recommended ortho surgery as for cleft palate. But, I am confused as it is mentioned only cleft palate. I wanted to know whether children...  Read Full »

Kindly tell me the symptoms of frontotemporal dementia.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has recently received a diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia. Here is a history of her: She had what we believed to be a nervous breakdown four years back. This was after a year of stress from a pending court case. After this breakdown, she displayed some psychotic symptoms....  Read Full »