Q. I have loose and fragile teeth with short and twisted root. Will dental veneers help?

Answered by
Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 01, 2019

Hello doctor,

My teeth are very small and my roots are too short and twist together, leaving my teeth loose and fragile. I cannot eat certain foods or bite into apples because I have to be cautious not to accidentally pull my front teeth out. I also have a large gap between my two front teeth. Multiple dentists have mentioned veneers before, but I was wondering if there is a better option? I read that putting veneers on fragile teeth is not a good idea, but I am not sure what else could help me besides dentures. All dentists are very hesitant as to what to do because I just turned 17 and doing anything drastic on someone so young is a lot to consider. I understand, though my dentist and oral surgeon both have said that eventually, I will need more work. What are all of my options to get a set of teeth that are not so fragile?

I have been to several dentists in various different locations. Since I can remember going to the dentist, the focus was always on my gap and my lack of enamel due to acid reflux (GERD) since I was an infant. I had braces for two and a half years. The braces did not close the gap all the way, but it was significantly smaller until I lost my retainer. I am fine with having my gap. If my teeth were healthy, I would have no complaints. But my teeth seem to just be getting very gradually something to put higher up on the priority list. I also have ground my teeth since I was a child, and so they have damage from that as well. All of my teeth that are in front of the canines are very loose. I am currently taking Citalopram, Seroquel, and Lamotrigine.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern regarding dental health. Your small, loose and fragile teeth and short and twisted roots are because of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) which is presence since infancy. In such case, physical examination and x-ray investigations are very necessary which you have already done. So, I will suggest you to follow the advice of your doctor because they have guided you according to your current oral condition. So, better to follow them for good results earlier. Talking about the gap between upper front teeth, it can be resolved by composite restoration. So, nothing to worry about it. Do not brush too forcefully and frequently. Do it in circular motion and slowly. Drink lots of water to avoid the dryness of mouth. Do not brush immediately after drinking tea or coffee. Avoid sweet diet.

I hope this helps.

Investigations to be done:

OPG (orthopantomogram) for better diagnosis and treatment.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Shall I opt flap surgery and bone graft for my loose tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having severe toothache and loose teeth. I used to chew tobacco for the past 10 years. I am getting severe tooth pain often and some blister in the gums. My upper sixth tooth got loose and was removed three years ago. I have been to a local dentist and they advised deep scaling, root...  Read Full »

How to straighten teeth without braces or veneers?

Query: Hello doctor, I want straight teeth. I do not want braces or accelerated orthodontics or veneers. And I do not want a retainer. Is there any hope?  Read Full »

I have GERD. Can you suggest any treament?

Query: Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from stomach ulcer for the past 2 years. Till now the ulcer was not severe, but since few days I have been having stomach pain everytime after having food. Doctor diagnosed that, I have GERD. But even then I faced GERD problems rarely. But for the past 3 weeks ...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.