Q. I have ovulation and period symptoms even after taking Depot. Why?

Published on Jan 09, 2019

My period started 12th of last month. I reviewed the Depo shot two days later. I had unprotected sex nine days later. He ejaculated in me several times. I thought I would be protected but I am also having symptoms of ovulation like high (hard) cervix with a sharp pain in my ovary, then I had spotting for three days (brown to red then to brown again). What are the odds that the Depo is not effective for me? Is it common to experience ovulation and period symptoms on Depo without actually releasing an egg?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Depot injection does not offer immediate protection and it is advised to maintain abstinence for at least three weeks post-injection before the hormonal balance is readjusted for the cycle. Also, intermenstrual bleeding in form of dark brown blood is a common side effect which is seen with Depot injection. Also, it would be difficult to comment on the ovulation bleed as this is possible in this cycle as this would be the first month of Depot injection and hence barrier contraceptive is advised for initial 2 to 3 weeks. As you have had unprotected intercourse on day 11 of the cycle, there may be a possibility that the bleed may have been ovulation and not due to Depot and you may get pregnant. Once the best way to rule that out would be to undertake a serum beta hCG test after seven days of last intercourse and if the hCG levels are higher than 5 ng/dl, then you are pregnant, else safe.

Female Sexual Arousal Disorder: Break the Shackles and Seek Help!!

Article Overview: This article throws light on Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder, a common but least discussed sexual health topic among females. Read Article

Dr. Bharat Udey
Sexologist

Sexuality is a taboo in most of the societies in this world. Men on one hand consider their sexuality as a jewel of their manhood crown. On the other hand women are forbidden to discuss about their sexuality. It is considered to be their duty and responsibity to fulfil the sexual needs of their male...  Read Article

Can antidepressants cause low sex drive?

Query: Hi doctor, I have no sex drive whatsoever and cannot obtain an orgasm. Please help.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query with due interest and understand your concerns. Low sex drive is a common symptom of a variety of medical and psychiatric disorders. Before I speculate anything about it I need you to answer a few questions in detail. Mention the duration of the pro...  Read Full

Is there any chance for pregnancy even after taking Depo shot?

Query: Hello doctor, I started the Depo shot before six months and I missed my second shot. I did not continue getting the shot, so I have been off birth control. It was my first Depo shot I have ever received and I am not sure how long it takes to be totally gone. But, I have been very sexually active wit...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a high chance of pregnancy. You can confirm or rule out the same with a simple home pregnancy test. The effect of a single depot of 150 mg lasts for three to four months. It means you are not protected against pregnancy in the last two months. If the pregnancy te...  Read Full