Q. I have ovulation and period symptoms even after taking Depot. Why?

My period started 12th of last month. I reviewed the Depo shot two days later. I had unprotected sex nine days later. He ejaculated in me several times. I thought I would be protected but I am also having symptoms of ovulation like high (hard) cervix with a sharp pain in my ovary, then I had spotting for three days (brown to red then to brown again). What are the odds that the Depo is not effective for me? Is it common to experience ovulation and period symptoms on Depo without actually releasing an egg?

#

Depot injection does not offer immediate protection and it is advised to maintain abstinence for at least three weeks post-injection before the hormonal balance is readjusted for the cycle. Also, intermenstrual bleeding in form of dark brown blood is a common side effect which is seen with Depot injection. Also, it would be difficult to comment on the ovulation bleed as this is possible in this cycle as this would be the first month of Depot injection and hence barrier contraceptive is advised for initial 2 to 3 weeks. As you have had unprotected intercourse on day 11 of the cycle, there may be a possibility that the bleed may have been ovulation and not due to Depot and you may get pregnant. Once the best way to rule that out would be to undertake a serum beta hCG test after seven days of last intercourse and if the hCG levels are higher than 5 ng/dl, then you are pregnant, else safe.

|