Depot Injection For Contraception

Is it possible to have ovulation and period symptoms when on Depot?

Query: Hello doctor, My period started 12th of last month. I reviewed the Depo shot two days later. I had unprotected sex nine days later. He ejaculated in me several times. I thought I would be protected but I am also having symptoms of ovulation like high (hard) cervix with a sharp pain in my ovary, the...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Depot injection does not offer immediate protection and it is advised to maintain abstinence for at least three weeks post-injection before the hormonal balance is readjusted for the cycle. Also, intermenstrual bleeding in form of dark brown blood is a common side ef...  Read Full »

I took Plan B on next day of sex and started Depo too. Am I safe from pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My last Depo was eight months back. I started getting my period four months back. Last week, I started up Depo again (not on my period). 10 days back I had unprotected sex. I am not even sure if he came in me. I took a Plan B the next day. I was supposed to get my period two days late...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Which day did you start Depo again? If we look into your query, you had sex and took I-pill in 24 hours. If the emergency contraceptive pill was taken in proper dose within 48 hours post unprotected sex without vomitings, then it will work and most probably will give wi...  Read Full »

How to stop vaginal bleeding after depot injection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old female. On the 24th, I got an implant (rod) in my arm to prevent unwanted pregnancy. 10 days after getting that done, I had bleeding for roughly three months non-stop. So, I started taking the pill for a while but the bleeding did not stop. Roughly two weeks ago, I...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you are a candidate in whom implanon (birth control implant) did not suit well. It is good that you got it removed. You switched over to depot injection almost immediately. Ideally, you should have given a gap of a month and should have been placed on...  Read Full »

Are breast tenderness and vaginal discharge symptoms of pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My cycle is about 25 days. Me and my husband got intimated on day 18 using a condom. We are worried that the semen had fallen near to me while taking out. Soon, I took a Morning after pill within an hour. Can you please tell me is there any chance to conceive? Also, please let me know the...  Read Full »

Dr. Archana Sundarka

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Morning after pill is an emergency contraceptive pill and is very effective of around 97% if taken within an 1 hour after unprotected intercourse. So, I am hoping that your period will come in a couple of days.   Read Full »

I am on OCP.Is there a chance to get pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am on OCP for last five to six months. I was fine. What happened this month is, due to worry, I have overdosed myself with OCP. I took, 3 OCPs last Wednesday 3 OCPs last Friday 2 OCPs last Saturday 3 OCPs last Sunday by 7 PM Yesterday (Monday) I took only one OCP at 1:30 PM but I took ...  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Sexologist, Andrologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read and understood your problem. I am really concerned about your anxiety. Normally, there is no chance of getting pregnancy. But, you have taken 12 OCPs in six days Wednesday to Monday and one i-pill too.  Due to the excessive dosing, there is spotting. Even i...  Read Full »

13 year old girl suffers with painful periods. What is wrong with her?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 13 years old. She has been developing some symptoms that worries me. I think she may have endometriosis. She got her first periods in her fifth grade and the symptoms started when she began her sixth grade. She is having extremely heavy periods with painful cramping, nausea...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As she is just 13 there are menses which are anovulatory in the initial two years and the hormones are not matured at all. Endometriosis in adolescents is fairly uncommon unless they have been sexually active. An endometriosis pain is typically only during menses a...  Read Full »

I missed my Depot shot. How would I know if I am pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am on Depot injection and I missed the shot for over 10 days now. I have not started bleeding yet. When I was on the shot before, I bled when I get off the shot. Now, how would I know if I am pregnant?  Read Full »

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Childbirth Educator, Lactation Counselor, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Depots are basically progesterone and amenorrhea - absence of periods and irregular periods are its known complications. Also, since you have missed the next shot by 10 days, the effectivity of the Depot is lost in this cycle. It would be wise to use an additi...  Read Full »

Is Depo-Provera injection good for me and how long to take it?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 17 year old girl. I am taking Depo-Provera injection. Is it good for me and how long should I take it?  Read Full »

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This injection is to be repeated every 12 weeks. This is quite an effective method of birth control, and when a lady is not able to take oral pills. You can continue this as long as you want birth control and stop when you want to get pregnant. You can get pregnant&...  Read Full »

Since taking birth control shot, I have brown discharge. Will it ever go away?

Query: Hello doctor,I started Depo three months ago because the pill was leading to yeast infections. But every day since taking the shot birth control, I have had a brown discharge that feels like is causing another yeast infection. Will the discharge ever go away? What should I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, Depo (Medroxyprogesterone) may cause a yeast infection. Other few conditions Iike stress, antibiotics, weak immune system, high blood sugar, hormonal imbalance and pregnancy may aggravate the condition. So, I suggest you use candid-B V gel (Clotrimazole vaginal...  Read Full »

Even though I am on birth control injections, am I still ovulating?

Query: Hi doctor, I am on Depo birth control injection, and I was prescribed Medroxyprogesterone to induce my periods. Does not that mean my body is ovulating even though I am on birth control?  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? No, you are not ovulating. Let me explain. When on Depo birth control injection, the progesterone hormone level is very high, and this will suppress the normal rise and fall in hormones that your follicles will not develop, so also no ovulation. The inn...  Read Full »