Q. How can I get rid of severe depression with anxiety?

Dr. Aditya Gupta

I have severe depression alternating with severe anxiety. I have tried many medicines. Currently, I am taking 40 gm Prozac in the morning and 30 mg of Remeron at bedtime. But during the day, I am a nervous basket case. No doctors will give me any Benzodiazepine for some reason. I have difficulty functioning enough to be productive and unable to enjoy anything in life. I need more help. I do not want to continue living this way. Earlier, I was on Buspar, Vistaril, Trazodone, Paxil, and Doxepin. Doxepin was the most helpful but does no good when I am awake. The laboratory tests performed were blood tests. Only triglycerides were elevated.

#

In my opinion, you can discuss with treating psychiatrist regarding the following options:

1. Increasing dose of Prozac (Fluoxetine).
  2. Substituting Prozac with Prestiq (Desvenlafaxine), Wellbutrin (Bupropion) or Zoloft (Sertraline).
  3. You can also opt for concurrent CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) sessions.

Practicing a relaxation technique like breath relaxation excercises daily shall help.

For more information consult a psychiatrist onlilne --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Thank you for your prompt response. I have just one quick question. I have friends with similar issues and they have all been prescribed Xanax and say that it is a huge help for them. Why is Xanax not an option for me? I am aware of the risk of addiction. But I am very careful to take all my medications only as prescribed.

#

Xanax (Alprazolam) or any other benzodiazepine can be used to treat anxiety for short-term only because of addiction potential and CNS depressant effect. I do not know why it had not been considered in your particular case. But if given, it should be used only for short term.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|