Q. How to treat my mother's compulsive superstitions?

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 08, 2020

How to treat compulsive superstitions? I need some help to treat my mother. She is also a depression patient and for which she is taking medication.

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

• Superstitions are normal in our culture. If it is significant enough to cause distress and impairment in day-to-day functioning, then it can be pathological.
  • Many people resort to these superstitions as a possible explanation for their false beliefs.
  • However, I need to know if your mother suffers from a disturbed sleep, impairment in daily routine, etc.
  • People can have secondary depressive symptoms associated with the problem.
  • I can help her if you can give a detailed account of her history and the medications she is on.

Revert back with detailed history to a psychiatrist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|