I developed anxiety after I stopped my depression medication Sertraline. Is it safe to stop the medication, and how to stop it?

Q. Should a depressed patient stop taking Sertraline gradually to avoid withdrawal symptoms?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

I am a 37-year-old male. I have been taking Escitalopram for two years as I developed anxiety and a feeling of being generally worried. I had depression a few years back and took Sertraline for seven to eight years. When I stopped taking it two years back, I started having anxiety and had a feeling of being worried. Is it good to stop this medication now? If so, how to stop it? Do I need to stop this medication gradually?

#

I read your query and can understand your concern.

You have an anxiety disorder and you are on the tablet Escitalopram. But you have not mentioned the dose of your medication. If you have been stable for two years then you can try to taper off and watch for anxiety. However, if you get anxiety then you have to continue the medication.

It is difficult for me to explain the tapering as you have not mentioned your dosage of the medication. You must also get a few blood tests done and follow up with your medication dosage details.

I hope that you get your answer.

Please let me know if you want some help.

Thank you and take care.

1. CBC (complete blood count).

2. RBS (random blood sugar).

3. Thyroid profile.

4. Vitamin B12.

5. Vitamin D3.

|