Q. Are derma rollers really effective for scars?

Dr. Kakkar
Published on Aug 31, 2017

I have heard good things and bad things about derma rollers. My question is, are they good for scars? Will they actually help? Also, can I use them myself? Or is it better to get it done by a professional?

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• Derma rollers are good for certain types of acne scars like rolling type of acne scars (smooth edges of scar). It is not useful for icepick scars and box car type of acne scars.
  • The professional use is usually with a needle length 1.5 mm and higher (4mm). Self-use is recommended with a needle length of 0.5 mm.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

What can be done to clear acne marks due to pimples during periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 24 years old and I have a combination skin type. I have minimal breakouts basically during my periods but these pimples leave a lot of marks. Please suggest me a tablet or a treatment on how to remove these marks. Also, I do not want to take any medicines containing steroids or ap...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case. First, you need to understand acne is common and you may experience frequent exacerbation due to stress or periods as you already told. Moreover, steroids should never be used in acne skin. In fact, this aggravates acne. Please apply Clind...  Read Full

What medicine can treat acne scars on my upper back?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old male. For no reasons, my upper back has formed acne in the back of shoulders and in the mid-upper back. I tried Benzoyl wash, Vanoxide Topical, and Doxycycline. There was no success. I am now using Hibiclens foam wash, Clindamycin and Benzoyl foam, and a Sulfamethox...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Perhaps it is Pityrosporum folliculitis. It is usually itchy and favors back and looks similar to acne. Do they itch in your case? Pityrosporum folliculitis would require oral antifungals. Anyways acne that is unresponsive to usual antiacne medications oral and t...  Read Full

How to get my acne scars removed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. My height is 158 cm and my weight is 50 kg. I have severe acne scars on my face, back, lower back and below the neck. I have pimples on my face. I am using Benzoyl peroxide for the same. I have attached my photos here. My problems also include hair fall, thinnin...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Benzoyl peroxide will not work on your acne as you are having grade 4 acne (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You need to start Isotretinoin immediately. Let me know your marital status, because you should not get pregnant while on Isotretinoin and at least...  Read Full