Q. What medicine can treat acne scars on my upper back?

Dr. Sushil Kakkar
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 13, 2022

I am a 31-year-old male. For no reason, my upper back has formed acne in the back of my shoulders and in the mid-upper back. I tried Benzoyl wash, Vanoxide Topical, and Doxycycline. There was no success. I am now using Hibiclens foam wash, Clindamycin and Benzoyl foam, and a Sulfamethoxazole tablet two times per day. This second regimen has only been going on for five days. How long can I expect results?

I also shave my shoulders which I know puts me at risk for folliculitis and other related conditions. However, I have never shaved my back and therefore do not understand how this occurred. Just when I think things look better, a trip to the gym and shower right afterward, it always makes things look worse. Am I wasting my time trying to fix this? Of note, I had very severe acne on the upper back and face when I was a teenager. I was on Doxycycline in the past.

#

Perhaps it is Pityrosporum folliculitis. It is usually itchy and favors the back, and looks similar to acne.

Do they itch in your case?

Pityrosporum folliculitis would require oral antifungals. Anyways acne that is unresponsive to usual antiacne medications, oral and topical, usually responds to oral Isotretinoin. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her, and with their consent, take medicine.

|