Q. What medicine can treat acne scars on my upper back?

Dr. Kakkar
Published on Dec 20, 2017

I am a 31-year-old male. For no reasons, my upper back has formed acne in the back of shoulders and in the mid-upper back. I tried Benzoyl wash, Vanoxide Topical, and Doxycycline. There was no success. I am now using Hibiclens foam wash, Clindamycin and Benzoyl foam, and a Sulfamethoxazole tablet two times per day. This second regimen has only been going on for five days. How long can I expect results?

I also shave my shoulders which I know puts me at risk for folliculitis and other related conditions. However, I have never shaved my back and therefore do not understand how this occurred. Just when I think things look better, a trip to the gym and shower right afterward, it always makes things look worse. Am I wasting my time trying to fix this? Of note, I had a very severe acne on the upper back and face when I was a teenager. I was on Doxycycline in the past.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Perhaps it is Pityrosporum folliculitis.

It is usually itchy and favors back and looks similar to acne.

Do they itch in your case?

Pityrosporum folliculitis would require oral antifungals.

Anyways acne that is unresponsive to usual antiacne medications oral and topical usually respond to oral Isotretinoin. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicine.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Is it safe to apply antifungal cream on the tip of penis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been itching on my tip of the penis, which also becomes red due to itch. Is it safe to apply any antifungal cream on the tip of the penis? Please suggest some good antifungal cream.  Read Full »

How to get my acne scars removed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. My height is 158 cm and my weight is 50 kg. I have severe acne scars on my face, back, lower back and below the neck. I have pimples on my face. I am using Benzoyl peroxide for the same. I have attached my photos here. My problems also include hair fall, thinnin...  Read Full »