Q. Developed with nodular acne on my left cheek. Is this prescription effective?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak
Published on Jun 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a male, 24 years old.

I have recently developed with nodular acne on my left cheek and visited a dermatologist. The doctor has prescribed the following for 15 days for pimples:

• Rejuglow face wash gel.
  • Nilac ointment (twice daily).
  • Minoz 50 tablet (once daily).

He has asked me to come after 15 days for prescription of scars; once pimples are eliminated.

Are the prescription mentioned above effective? How many days and what ointment/face wash gel/home remedy is effective in reducing the scar faster? (he has told it takes 3 months)

Give a second opinion.

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Thanks for writing to us.

Acne treatment depends upon the type of acne lesions. From the treatment provided it seems, you are having pustular (pus filled) or papular (red raised bumps) lesions.

In case of nodular acne, lesions are large nodules. For nodular acne we usually prescribe oral isotretinoin in dose of 20 mg to 40 mg daily depending on severity. If there are just one or two nodules then we can also treat the same by intralesional steroid and antibiotic injections.

In papular or pustular acne, I prefer tablet doxycycline 100mg twice in a day or minocycline 100mg daily (minoz once daily) along with topical adapalene clindamycin gel like deriva CMS or epiduo gel, once in a night application. Usually lesions subside by two weeks to a month.

In case of nodular acne treatment, it needs to be continued for a month or may be more as it is a severe acne variant.

For marks and scars, one may use topical creams like glycolic acid, azelaic acid, kojic acid, tretinoin cream etc. One may also take sessions of chemical peels or microdermabrasion.

The treatment advised and time required for response depends upon the severity of scar. For further clarification, kindly send us the pictures of the acne lesions and ask a dermatologist or an acne specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist/acne

Adult Acne: A Common Problem

Article Overview: Adult acne is more common nowadays with changes in lifestyle and the use of various cosmetic products. The treatment of adult acne is a challenge for many dermatologists and is also frustrating for the patients. Understanding the cause of adult acne helps establish a better strategy for the prevention and treatment of adult acne. Read Article

Dr. Sreelakshmi S

Acne is very common in the teenage group. But, when we have acne as an adult, it is very frustrating. The Acne treatment which worked in adolescent age can be useless or even worsen the condition. Many people wonder 'do adults get acne?'. Yes, adults can get acne. Some continue to get acne in their ...  Read Article

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article