Q. Developed with nodular acne on my left cheek. Is this prescription effective?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

I am a male, 24 years old.

I have recently developed with nodular acne on my left cheek and visited a dermatologist. The doctor has prescribed the following for 15 days for pimples:

• Rejuglow face wash gel.
  • Nilac ointment (twice daily).
  • Minoz 50 tablet (once daily).

He has asked me to come after 15 days for prescription of scars; once pimples are eliminated.

Are the prescription mentioned above effective? How many days and what ointment/face wash gel/home remedy is effective in reducing the scar faster? (he has told it takes 3 months)

Give a second opinion.

#

Thanks for writing to us.

Acne treatment depends upon the type of acne lesions. From the treatment provided it seems, you are having pustular (pus filled) or papular (red raised bumps) lesions.

In case of nodular acne, lesions are large nodules. For nodular acne we usually prescribe oral isotretinoin in dose of 20 mg to 40 mg daily depending on severity. If there are just one or two nodules then we can also treat the same by intralesional steroid and antibiotic injections.

In papular or pustular acne, I prefer tablet doxycycline 100mg twice in a day or minocycline 100mg daily (minoz once daily) along with topical adapalene clindamycin gel like deriva CMS or epiduo gel, once in a night application. Usually lesions subside by two weeks to a month.

In case of nodular acne treatment, it needs to be continued for a month or may be more as it is a severe acne variant.

For marks and scars, one may use topical creams like glycolic acid, azelaic acid, kojic acid, tretinoin cream etc. One may also take sessions of chemical peels or microdermabrasion.

The treatment advised and time required for response depends upon the severity of scar. For further clarification, kindly send us the pictures of the acne lesions and ask a dermatologist or an acne specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist/acne

|