Q. Can deviated nasal septum cause difficulty in breathing?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

I have a deviated nasal septum on the right side of my nose. I also have difficulty in breathing although I have deviated right side septum but still, I face breathing problems in the left side. I also sometimes feel pain on my face but my major problem is that if I use nasal sprays, I get well for 1 or 2 hours but then again I have breathing problems. I am also unable to understand if I have a right side deviated septum. So, why do I have difficulty in breathing from the left side and also if my left nose gets open my right side closes and if right opens left closes? Kindly help me, please.

#

Having read through your query, I can understand your concern. Patients with DNS can have nasal obstruction on both sides. First, because the septum can deviate in an S-shape giving rise to obstruction on both sides. Second, on the side opposite to DNS, there may be enlargement of another structure called Inferior turbinate secondary to DNS. This is called paradoxical obstruction. Third, excessive use of sprays can lead to mucosal atrophy or thinning and a subjective feeling of an obstruction. You may share your CT to guide me further. You should go for surgery. It is a minor procedure that can be done even under local anesthesia.

|