Q. I have deviated nasal septum with persistent nasal drip and throat irritation. How to get rid of it?

Dr. Prathish Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 29, 2020

I had a sore throat and fever four months ago. I took some antibiotics (Cebosh) referred by an ENT and the sore throat went away. But I have a constant nasal dripping and throat clearing since then somedays it is more and some days it is normal. I can see mucus in my throat and it looks irritated. I have no fever, no body pain, and no shortness of breath. I have a severely deviated septum too. What can I do to get rid of it?

#

As per your description, you are having a deviated nasal septum (DNS). Your continuous presence of mucus in the nose and throat clearing is because of sinusitis which is a common consequence of your deviated septum.

I have given some tablets try using those. If not relieved you should nasal sprays, but they contain steroids. Steroids are not advocated during this COVID season. So it is best to avoid the nasal spray at present. And regularly have steam inhalation.

DNS with chronic sinusitis.

Karvol plus capsule for steam inhalation, tablet Montelukast 10 mg twice daily for two weeks, Cetirizine 10 mg + Phenylephrine 10 mg twice daily for two weeks.

Cover your nose while going out. Avoid dust exposure.

| 

Can soreness in throat and skin redness after sex be due to HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old white male, I had protected intercourse vaginal and anal and unprotected oral sex, vaginal and anal exactly 17 days back. Eight days after I had an itch in my throat that practically made the corner of my mouth pucker for a day or two and lost my appetite. Around the...  Read Full »

Can sinusitis cause bad breath?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a persistent bad breath and bad taste in my mouth. I have excellent oral hygiene, and my dentist said my teeth and gums are all healthy. My doctor said that it could be sinus drainage, but I have dealt with this for years even when I have no drainage. It is ruining my personal life ...  Read Full »

How to prevent sinusitis, dry nose and shivering during winters?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a recurring ailment that I usually get once or twice per winter. It starts with extreme shivering and overheating, but no fever. Day two usually involves a very dry nose, very low energy, and heightened sensitivity to touch or light. Days 3 to 5 usually involve more traditional...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»