Q. My daughter is diagnosed with deviated nasal septum and sinusitis. What is the treatment?

Dr. Nageswara Rao
Published on Oct 30, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 05, 2019

My 23 years old daughter has been suffering from a blocked nose for the past three months. She took Sinarest and Cefixime antibiotics tablets, and Nasivion S drops. She has only temporary relief from nose block. So, we took a CT scan of PNS (paranasal sinuses) recently. Clinical findings are deviation of nasal septum and sinusitis.I would like to know the best treatment other than surgery.

Dr. Nageswara Rao

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Deviation of the nasal septum has only surgical treatment. Sinusitis is an infection of sinuses present in our facial bones. Once it occurs, it can be treated with antibiotics decongestants and anti-inflammatory drugs. The blockage of nasal sinus opening is the most common cause of sinusitis. You can try Jal nethi, which is a procedure in yoga under a trained master, which helps in revealing the blockage. Avoid allergens and taking a head bath with cold water. Dry the hair immediately after the head bath. Precautions during winter will help to prevent the infection.

Do you suggest surgery for DNS?

Query: Hi doctor, I have allergic rhinitis problem for the last two years. I have taken ayurveda and homeopathic treatment. It has improved, but not completely. I have DNS. Do I need surgery?  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. DNS (deviated nasal septum) and allergies are two different things. Only if you have symptoms of nose block and headache, then surgery for DNS will be helpful. For allergic rhinitis, you should start nasal spray having decongestant and steroid combination, and that will h...  Read Full

Is surgery needed for blocked nose and enlargement of nasal bone?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend has been diagnosed with acute sinusitis. He underwent CT scan of the sinuses and was recommended surgery due to blocked nose and enlargement of the nasal bone. Please recommend if surgery can be avoided. I have attached his CT scan report.  Read Full >>

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for posting your query. I have seen the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Surgery is not absolutely essential. A three weeks course of antibiotics along with nasal decongestants can be tried. Based on the relief from symptoms, the f...  Read Full