Q. My daughter is diagnosed with deviated nasal septum and sinusitis. What is the treatment?

Dr. Nageswara Rao
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 30, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 05, 2019

My 23 years old daughter has been suffering from a blocked nose for the past three months. She took Sinarest and Cefixime antibiotics tablets, and Nasivion S drops. She has only temporary relief from nose block. So, we took a CT scan of PNS (paranasal sinuses) recently. Clinical findings are deviation of nasal septum and sinusitis.I would like to know the best treatment other than surgery.

Dr. Nageswara Rao

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Deviation of the nasal septum has only surgical treatment. Sinusitis is an infection of sinuses present in our facial bones. Once it occurs, it can be treated with antibiotics decongestants and anti-inflammatory drugs. The blockage of nasal sinus opening is the most common cause of sinusitis. You can try Jal nethi, which is a procedure in yoga under a trained master, which helps in revealing the blockage. Avoid allergens and taking a head bath with cold water. Dry the hair immediately after the head bath. Precautions during winter will help to prevent the infection.

| 

Is surgery necessary for DNS?

Query: Hi doctor, I have allergic rhinitis problem for the last two years. I have taken ayurveda and homeopathic treatment. It has improved, but not completely. I have DNS. Do I need surgery?  Read Full »

Is surgery needed for blocked nose and enlargement of nasal bone?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend has been diagnosed with acute sinusitis. He underwent CT scan of the sinuses and was recommended surgery due to blocked nose and enlargement of the nasal bone. Please recommend if surgery can be avoided. I have attached his CT scan report.  Read Full »