Q. Will the use of tablet Dexamethasone for Bell's palsy cause tachycardia?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

I contracted Bell's Palsy for the second time within seven years. The first episode was seven years back, and the second one occurred last month. I recently concluded using Dexamethasone (15-day tapering treatment) for my Bell's Palsy. Before this, I was on a 15 day use of Prednisone. Since using this last medication, I have found that I have been sleeping less, and yesterday and today, around the early morning, I found that my heart has been beating rapidly without any exertion. It is giving me excessive hiccups also. It has just happened suddenly, and I am worried. Also, I would like to get a second opinion on my Bell's Palsy. Kindly help.

#

I hve gone through the reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). This is tachycardia and could be related to electrolyte imbalance or anxiety caused by tablet Dexamethasone. If tachycardia persists, I recommend going to the emergency room for a resting ECG (electrocardiogram) and checking electrolyte plasma levels. The repeated Bell's palsy could be suggestive of sensitive nerves. Anyway, it is essential to check vitamin B12 plasma levels also. The MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) findings suggest an old brain trauma or, since birth, not related to the Bell’s palsy. I hope you find the reply useful.

Can you be more specific when you say an old brain trauma or since birth? What does this mean? Is it life-threatening?

What can I do to prevent Bell's Palsy or any similar health condition from recurring?

#

These minor brain injuries are related to an old trauma during childhood or during birth. The Bell's palsy may be prevented by good nutrition (vitamins and proteins), and I suggest avoiding going out in cold air with wet hair.

|