Bell's Palsy

Can Bell's palsy be treated with nerve regeneration?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with Bell's palsy before 10 days. Half of my facial muscles are not working. I had swelling of the salivary gland near the ear before this issue. The MRI brain scan did not show stroke. Currently, I am on Prednisone and Valtrex. Is there any nerve regeneration treatm...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your symptoms and your question. All your symptoms, including the weakness of the facial muscles and taste issues are because of facial nerve dysfunction. It is a good thing that your MRI is normal. The treatment that you have been prescribed is also proper, ...  Read Full »

What is the correct dosage of steroids for Ramsay Hunt?

Query: Hi doctor, I was just diagnosed with Ramsay Hunt ( like Bell's palsy but due to varicella) last week after having the shingles two weeks before. I have moderate facial paralysis. About twenty-five years ago, I had Bell's palsy on the same side, treated successfully then. I am otherwise a healthy pe...  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I have gone through your previous history of the disease and the available investigations, I think you are getting the correct treatment. As far as steroids are concerned, they are used in loading dose at the beginning to reduce edema (swellin...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for numbness in cheek with drooping eyelids and muscle tension?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20-year-old male. I have numbness on my left cheek/jaw and sometimes even under ear for around four to five days now. I feel like my eyelid is drooping. It could have always just been that way. I have right calf muscle tension and tension on both arms (triceps). Occasionally the ...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am impressed with your awareness. The way you are describing it appears as Bell's palsy (you can better call it local stroke). But let me explain what happens. Do you have a deviation of face, loss of wrinkles on the forehead? You can search for a photo of Bell's p...  Read Full »

Are inability to close the mouth and drooling of water from mouth signs of facial palsy?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, in the evening I woke up and I had a feeling that something is not right in my face. And when I gurgle I cannot fully close my mouth and water keeps spitting. And yes, when I look at the mirror my right eyes, nose, mouth, and cheeks are different. I checked online and it ...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the symptoms you have mentioned, it definitely looks like you have developed a facial palsy on the right side, what we usually call as a Bells palsy. This usually happens due to the involvement of facial nerve supplying the muscles of your face and in a situation ...  Read Full »

I have facial droop in the lower half of the left side of my face. Is it due to stroke?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 34 years old and I have facial droop in the lower half of the left side of my face. It has been with me for years. I would not call it a paralysis or bells palsy as I have full control of my forehead and eyebrows, but the lower part when I talk it is noticable that the lip from the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know some details about your symptoms: 1. When, first time, you noticed facial drop in left lower half face? 2. Did it happen suddenly? Or it happened slowly and gradually? 3. Did you had any weakness in left arm/ hand / left leg along with? 4. H...  Read Full »

I am concerned about my Bell's palsy recurrence. Shall I start steroids and Acyclovir?

Query: Hello doctor, I had Bell's palsy before few months, and it resolved within two months. I was treated by a neurologist then. But now I feel that my taste buds are blunt and I cannot taste very well, within the past day or so. I have no other symptoms of Bell's palsy yet, but this is how it started b...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Try finding any other cause of taste loss like consumption of any drug like Metronidazole. If you are sure that no other cause explains it then I will suggest to get NCV (nerve conduction velocity), EMG (electromyography) test because ...  Read Full »

Are altered taste and less saliva production related to Bell's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have followed your advice regarding back pain. My pain is minimal, and I am still continuing with the exercise. Now, I have another problem. My appetite has become very poor, and I cannot eat most of the things I used to eat before. This became an issue even before the Bell's palsy prob...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your symptoms in detail. Both altered taste and less saliva are actually because of your Bell's palsy. As you know, Bell's palsy affects the facial nerve. Facial nerve function includes taste perception as well as 50% of saliva production. The alt...  Read Full »

Can Bell's palsy cause bloated stomach, frozen shoulder, and tightness in the throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 57 year old male, who was diagnosed¬†with Bell's palsy about a year back. I was treated with steroids for 10 days along with antiviral medicines. I was also given Mecobalamin (Tetrafol plus) which I am still taking. I had also taken ayurvedic medicines Brihat Vatchintamani Ras, Ras...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fatigue is a side effect of homeopathic medicine Causticum. And stomach bloating, dry mouth and tightness in the throat are the side effects of Biochemic Mag Phos. For further information consult an internal medicine physician --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-o...  Read Full »

Post herpes attack, I am suffering from Bells's palsy. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Post a severe attack of herpes on the left shoulder, left ear (in and out), chest, and back I am now suffering from Bell's palsy on the left side. Symptoms are as follows: Cannot raise left eyebrow. Cannot tighten left nostril. Cannot move lips (left side). Left eye constantly w...  Read Full »

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest we do not start on steroids now as there is an active herpes infection which can flare up with steroids. Once it is six to eight weeks of Acyclovir therapy, we can start Dexamethasone 4 mg eighth hourly. However, you will have to consult your physician, di...  Read Full »

I was diagnosed with an unknown neurological condition. What does that mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old female, who is 5.4 feet, and I weighs 157 lbs. I am looking for a name for my condition. The only medication I take is Imipramine hydrochloride¬†40 mg tablets each day. I have been told that I have a neurological condition, but the symptoms do not follow any diagnosi...  Read Full »

Dr. Jeremy David O'kennedy

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your prolonged symptoms, I can understand your frustration. Your complaints mostly encompass two of the most complex systems of medicine, that is neurology and immunology. There is a lot we know, but that probably makes up just 20 % of what is yet to b...  Read Full »