Bell's Palsy

What does the unknown neurological condition I am diagnosed with mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old female, who is 5.4 feet, and I weighs 157 lbs. I am looking for a name for my condition. The only medication I take is Imipramine hydrochloride¬†40 mg tablets each day. I have been told that I have a neurological condition, but the symptoms do not follow any diagnosi...  Read Full »

Dr. Jeremy David O' Kennedy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your prolonged symptoms, I can understand your frustration. Your complaints mostly encompass two of the most complex systems of medicine, that is neurology and immunology. There is a lot we know, but that probably makes up just 20 % of what is yet to b...  Read Full »

Do I have to terminate my pregnancy as I took steroids for herpes zoster infection?

Query: Hi doctor,I am being advised to terminate a desired pregnancy because of the medication I have been prescribed to tackle a virus that I got just after becoming pregnant. I am looking for a second medical opinion on whether termination is necessary. I would like to understand the risks to the fetus o...  Read Full »

Dr. Vidya Muralidhar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The increased exposure to corticosteroid can cross the placental barrier and cause adrenal suppression in the fetus. This can lead to salt wasting, electrolyte imbalances, and even poor development of the fetus. The organs can also have improper developed and ...  Read Full »

My heart has been beating rapidly without any exertion after taking tablet Dexamethasone. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor, I contracted Bell's Palsy for the second time within seven years. The first episode was seven years back, and the second one occurred last month. I recently concluded using Dexamethasone (15-day tapering treatment) for my Bell's Palsy. Before this, I was on a 15 day use of Prednisone. Si...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hve gone through the reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). This is tachycardia and could be related to electrolyte imbalance or anxiety caused by tablet Dexamethasone. If tachycardia persists, I recommend going to the emergency room for ...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for my facial palsy?

Query: Hello doctor,I had facial palsy and did an MRI to rule out the cause. The report says, "small focus of linear and patchy enhancement in the medial left basal ganglia." Is this a venous anomaly or capillary telangiectasia?Kindly give your opinion.  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know some details about your symptoms. So, kindly answer me the following; 1) When you had facial palsy? 2) Which side of the face was affected? 3) Do you have any associated limb weakness? 4) Have you any other associated medical ill...  Read Full »

Can Bell's palsy be treated with nerve regeneration?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with Bell's palsy before 10 days. Half of my facial muscles are not working. I had swelling of the salivary gland near the ear before this issue. The MRI brain scan did not show stroke. Currently, I am on Prednisone and Valtrex. Is there any nerve regeneration treatm...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your symptoms and your question. All your symptoms, including the weakness of the facial muscles and taste issues are because of facial nerve dysfunction. It is a good thing that your MRI is normal. The treatment that you have been prescribed is also proper, ...  Read Full »

What is the correct dosage of steroids for Ramsay Hunt?

Query: Hi doctor, I was just diagnosed with Ramsay Hunt ( like Bell's palsy but due to varicella) last week after having the shingles two weeks before. I have moderate facial paralysis. About twenty-five years ago, I had Bell's palsy on the same side, treated successfully then. I am otherwise a healthy pe...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I have gone through your previous history of the disease and the available investigations, I think you are getting the correct treatment. As far as steroids are concerned, they are used in loading dose at the beginning to reduce edema (swellin...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for numbness in cheek with drooping eyelids and muscle tension?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20-year-old male. I have numbness on my left cheek/jaw and sometimes even under ear for around four to five days now. I feel like my eyelid is drooping. It could have always just been that way. I have right calf muscle tension and tension on both arms (triceps). Occasionally the ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am impressed with your awareness. The way you are describing it appears as Bell's palsy (you can better call it local stroke). But let me explain what happens. Do you have a deviation of face, loss of wrinkles on the forehead? You can search for a photo of Bell's p...  Read Full »

Are inability to close the mouth and drooling of water from mouth signs of facial palsy?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, in the evening I woke up and I had a feeling that something is not right in my face. And when I gurgle I cannot fully close my mouth and water keeps spitting. And yes, when I look at the mirror my right eyes, nose, mouth, and cheeks are different. I checked online and it ...  Read Full »

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the symptoms you have mentioned, it definitely looks like you have developed a facial palsy on the right side, what we usually call as a Bells palsy. This usually happens due to the involvement of facial nerve supplying the muscles of your face and in a situation ...  Read Full »

I have facial droop in the lower half of the left side of my face. Is it due to stroke?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 34 years old and I have facial droop in the lower half of the left side of my face. It has been with me for years. I would not call it a paralysis or bells palsy as I have full control of my forehead and eyebrows, but the lower part when I talk it is noticable that the lip from the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know some details about your symptoms: 1. When, first time, you noticed facial drop in left lower half face? 2. Did it happen suddenly? Or it happened slowly and gradually? 3. Did you had any weakness in left arm/ hand / left leg along with? 4. H...  Read Full »

I am concerned about my Bell's palsy recurrence. Shall I start steroids and Acyclovir?

Query: Hello doctor, I had Bell's palsy before few months, and it resolved within two months. I was treated by a neurologist then. But now I feel that my taste buds are blunt and I cannot taste very well, within the past day or so. I have no other symptoms of Bell's palsy yet, but this is how it started b...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Try finding any other cause of taste loss like consumption of any drug like Metronidazole. If you are sure that no other cause explains it then I will suggest to get NCV (nerve conduction velocity), EMG (electromyography) test because ...  Read Full »