Diabetes Insipidus

Do symptoms like frequent urination and increased thirst rightly confirm diabetes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having frequent urination and feeling extremely thirsty, especially during the night after dinner and before bed. While I am sleeping, I get up just once to urinate, sometimes not at all. Do you think I have diabetes? I got my blood sugar checked, and it came out as perfectly norma...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your history you have been suffering from frequent urination and feeling extremely thirsty especially during night after dinner and before bed. You have a family history of DM and you have a history of acid reflux and asth...  Read Full »

Can diabetes insipidus be cured?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with diabetes insipidus when I was 13 and my present age is 43. I have always had to rely on my DDAVP. However, for the past 6 months, my symptoms and use of the medicines has diminished to the point I have not had to take the DDAVP for six months. Etiology unknown as ...  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is rare but yes it is possible that over a long period of time, diabetes inspidus can auto correct itself. Over time some, ADH nerve terminals are able to form at the base of the hypothalamus, resulting in the resolution of DI symptoms and the development of an e...  Read Full »

What can be done to treat dryness and nightfall due to central diabetes insipidus?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 male. I am suffering from central diabetes insipidus for the last three years. My all body, skin, and mucous membranes like penis glans, nose, nostrils and eyes have extreme dryness and frequent nightfall 4 to 5 times in a week. Please advice medicine. currently, I am taking D...  Read Full »

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Central diabetes insipidus is a very rare case of diabetes. In this condition blood sugar doses are normal but due to excessive urination, the body suffers from electrolyte imbalances which lead to excessive thirst, dryness weaknesses, and lethargy.  Read Full »

I have excessive thirst and frequent urination. Are these due to my medications?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been on Lithium for bipolar disorder for over 20 years. From a blood test two years ago, I noticed that my GFR was below 40. So, I gradually started switching from Lithium to Epilim to avoid further damage to my kidneys. But now, I experience excessive thirst and I wake up at nig...  Read Full »

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your detailed reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Lithium commonly causes two types of renal disease, namely nephrogenic diabetes insipidus and chronic tubulointerstitial nephritis. Diabetes insipidus is causing the...  Read Full »

Why do I urinate frequently?

Query: Hi doctor, How many times can we urinate in 24 hours? I am worried because I urinate as frequently as ten times in 24 hours.  Read Full »

Dr. Kiran Anaparthi

Family Physician, HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It depends upon the seasons, more frequent in winter and rainy and less frequent in summer. There are no exact calculations for the number of times. But, the frequency may be increased due to conditions associated with diabetes. You can have your blood test to rule out ...  Read Full »

From the attached reports, please tell me the reason for frequent urination.

Query: Hello doctor, From the past few days, I have frequent urination. I am attaching all the test reports that I have done so far. I also got an x-ray and CT scan of the chest, but as I am out, I cannot upload them now. I will upload them later if you need it.  Read Full »

Dr. Krishna Somani

Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Only the CBC (complete blood count) and HbA1c reports are available. Please send all reports that are relevant to your complaint. Revert with more information to a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist  Read Full »