Q. Is it possible to get remission of diabetes insipidus?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

I was diagnosed with diabetes insipidus when I was 13 and my present age is 43. I have always had to rely on my DDAVP. However, for the past 6 months, my symptoms and use of the medicines has diminished to the point I have not had to take the DDAVP for six months. Etiology unknown as to why I developed DI. Have you ever experienced a person going into remission with DI? Or should I be concerned as I have been having some facial numbs and arm numbness and sometime my equilibrium seems of?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

It is rare but yes it is possible that over a long period of time, diabetes inspidus can auto correct itself. Over time some, ADH nerve terminals are able to form at the base of the hypothalamus, resulting in the resolution of DI symptoms and the development of an ectopic posterior pituitary. In your case that might be happening and it is a good thing.

DI over a period of time is known to cause muscle weakness, and can lead to nerve disorders. I will recommend you to consult a neurologist for your facial numbness, he can perform some tests on you to get the correct picture. Meanwhile you should take a Multivitamin supplement which has Methyl cobalamin and Folic acid (tablet Neurobion Forte once daily for around a month) and check if there is any improvement in your symptoms. It helps in nerve conduction, so might be helpful in your case.

Regarding the spontaneous emission, we have to wait and watch. Theoretically as I said it is possible, so hope that is the case for you.

|