Q. I get frequent urination and increased thirst only during night. Is this diabetes?

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 27, 2020

I am having frequent urination and feeling extremely thirsty, especially during the night after dinner and before bed. While I am sleeping, I get up just once to urinate, sometimes not at all. Do you think I have diabetes? I got my blood sugar checked, and it came out as perfectly normal (91, normal range is 80-100 for fasting). I think it is highly unlikely I am going to get diabetes in less than two years after the last checkup, but I wanted to confirm since my family has a history of this illness, and that is scaring me a bit. I am a 28-year-old male with asthma and acid reflux.

I am currently on Montelukast, Advair and Omeprazole.

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. According to your history you have been suffering from frequent urination and feeling extremely thirsty especially during night after dinner and before bed. You have a family history of DM and you have a history of acid reflux and asthma.

According to your description, your present sufferings can occurr in some situations like DI (diabetes insipidus), nephrogenic diabetes, UTI (urinary tract infection), kidney stones, cystitis, hypercalcemia, etc.

You should undergo fasting blood sugar test, 2HABF (2hrs after breakfast), HbA1C test, USG of W/A, urine routine, serum electrolytes, serum calcium, water deprivation test, etc. At first, we should find out the causes which are responsible for your present sufferings and then treat them accordingly.

| 

Unfortunately, I cannot go and get my blood sugar level tested, as due to Covid-19 concerns we are asked to stay at home until absolutely necessary. According to your expertise, do you think that it is essential for me to get all the tests done right now? Or is it possible that my medications might be causing this, and that I should try the diet and exercise routine first?

Dr. Zubayeralam

#

I can understand your present circumstances. Same here in my country too. We are also locked down. I have told earlier that Advair can cause frequent urination with feeling thirsty.

Again Montelukast and Omeprazole can make you feeling thirsty and I have provided earlier all the possible measures that can be done easily at home. You can check RBS (random blood sugar) by one touch glucometer if it is available in your home or your neighbor's home.

You should try to follow your diet chart especially sugar-free and salt-free foods and exercise routine. You should also know how to do Kegel exercise and try to perform on a regular basis. You can learn Kegel exercise from youtube easily.

|