Q. My baby passes stools about five times a day. Is it diarrhea?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My son is 6 months old. He has frequent stools, about four to five times in a day. He passes the stools about an hour after his meal every time. It is semisolid. Please suggest some medicine.

#

• This is a normal phenomenon in children of this age group. You need not be worried. There is no need to start any medication. What you could do is, give him some probiotic and enzyme supplements, continue with breastfeeding and complementary feeding (if started).

Relax and watch your child grow.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thank you doctor.

Can you suggest some probiotics or enzyme supplements? I hope it is not diarrhea.

#

• Yes, of course. Consult your child's specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and then start giving the supplements. I suggest the following:
  1. Probiotics like Nutrolin B suspension, 1 ml thrice daily or Enterogermina solution half a vial, thrice daily for a week.
  2. A Zinc supplement like Z&D DS suspension 0.5 ml, once daily for a week.
  3. An enzyme supplement like Neopeptine drops, 10 drops thrice daily before feeding.
  • Well, anything above seven to eight loose stools per day can be considered diarrhea, and the treatment is same.

|