Q. My baby passes stools about five times a day. Is it diarrhea?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My son is 6 months old. He has frequent stools, about four to five times in a day. He passes the stools about an hour after his meal every time. It is semisolid. Please suggest some medicine.

#

• This is a normal phenomenon in children of this age group. You need not be worried. There is no need to start any medication. What you could do is, give him some probiotic and enzyme supplements, continue with breastfeeding and complementary feeding (if started).

Relax and watch your child grow.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thank you doctor.

Can you suggest some probiotics or enzyme supplements? I hope it is not diarrhea.

#

• Yes, of course. Consult your child's specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and then start giving the supplements. I suggest the following:
  1. Probiotics like Nutrolin B suspension, 1 ml thrice daily or Enterogermina solution half a vial, thrice daily for a week.
  2. A Zinc supplement like Z&D DS suspension 0.5 ml, once daily for a week.
  3. An enzyme supplement like Neopeptine drops, 10 drops thrice daily before feeding.
  • Well, anything above seven to eight loose stools per day can be considered diarrhea, and the treatment is same.

| 

My 20 months old daughter has diarrhea and vomiting, and has not peed since afternoon. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 20 months old daughter did not pee last week for above 24 hours, the next day she did pee, but also vomited. On the same day, she was having a fever of 102 F, so we went to the pediatrician. He gave Vomitab, Calpol, and an antibiotic injection. From the past three days, the urine ou...  Read Full »

My kid was vomiting frequently and now has loose stools. What can be the issue?

Query: Hello doctor, My dear daughter just completed 1 year yesterday and still on breastfeed (twice, a full day) along with normal food. She is lactose intolerant and was hypocalcemic (less calcium) by birth. Her doctor gave her OstoCalcium and retested after six months and she turned to be absolutely fi...  Read Full »

When to Worry About Diarrhea in Children?

Article Overview: Diarrhea is dangerous for a child. It appears harmless, but slowly it makes the child sick. It makes the child pass out and to be brought to the hospital as an emergency. Here are some tips to look for the danger signs of diarrhea.  Read Article

Dr. Vishnu K R
Paediatrician

Diarrhea: Passing watery stools is diarrhea. It does not cause much harm if the child has no dehydration, but medical help should be sought. The doctor is the one to determine whether the child has dehydration or not. It is a more dangerous if the kid has vomiting along with watery stools....  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now