Q. For how long can probiotics be taken in abdominal problem?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

I am suffering from health problems for the last 10 years, mainly abdominal problem (excessive gas) and mood swings. Actually, I had taken two terms of nine months Rifampicin. After that, the digestion problem and mood swings continued. A lot of tests were done in different big hospitals. All the reports were normal. I finally took PPI and antidepressants but no relief. These days, I am taking a probiotic - Darolac capsule two times a day for last 15 days. But I am feeling tremendous relief in mainly mood swing and normal stool color. Otherwise, it was changing continuously and my life was miserable. I want your suggestion. How long can probiotic be taken and what is the dosage? Is it safe?

#

I understand your concerns.

From what you mentioned, you have irritable bowel syndrome. Darolac (Lactobacillus) is a good treatment which helps replace disturbed gut flora.It is safe OTC medication, with a maintenance dose of one capsule per day. You can increase it to two times per day if there are symptoms. IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) is not curable but controllable.

There are some precautions if you take antibiotics along with Darolac, separate the two medications by at least two hours.

There are many medications that can be taken for IBS, including Loperamide if there is diarrhea, Senna tablets if there is constipation, Librax (Chlordiazepoxide and Clidinium) if your symptoms are related to anxiety.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|