Q. My kid was vomiting frequently and now has loose stools. What can be the issue?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My dear daughter just completed 1 year yesterday and still on breastfeed (twice, a full day) along with normal food. She is lactose intolerant and was hypocalcemic (less calcium) by birth. Her doctor gave her OstoCalcium and retested after six months and she turned to be absolutely fine with calcium levels and other reports. The doctor advised going off the medicine.

Now the complaint is; from last Friday, she was vomiting frequently three times. She was on breastfeed and her mother was having super acidity. On Saturday, we did not make her consume breastmilk and she was fine. On Sunday, we went for a wedding and while to and fro in the car she was vomiting.

After that, there was no vomiting. She is very active but very restless (like throwing anything in hand, continuously trying to chew something specifically her own finger and looking to drink water more than normal, suddenly crying and then stops and starts behaving normally).

Today, she did watery potty twice and we have her Peditrol ORS. What can be the issue? Please suggest, we are perplexed as the symptoms keep on changing each time. Is she teething?

#

Do not worry so much. What you are describing seems to be gastroenteritis. Continue the same medications which are going on. Watch for lethargy and dehydration. The matter should settle in two to three days.

I suggest giving Enterogermina respule (probiotic vials), one respule twice a day for three to five days for faster action. Consult your child's specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

For further queries consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

Is it serious? How to deal with dehydration, what to give? Thanks a lot in advance. Any medical test to do? Does Enterogermina work for both vomiting and loose motion?

#

From your history, it does not look serious.

To prevent dehydration, you can give ORS 100 ml with the passage of each loose stool.

No need to do any medical test as long as the child is active and accepting feeds well.

Enterogermina works for both vomiting and loose motion.

Also, continue Ondem (Ondansetron) for vomiting since it is more effective in vomiting than Enterogermina.

For more information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|