Q. I am taking a DHEA supplement to improve my anxiety. Will this increase the levels of DHT?

Dr. Navajith Mani
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am a male of weight 165 lbs and height 5'8". I am currently taking ADHD medication. I am also taking a DHEA supplement to improve my anxiety issue. I wanted to know if taking DHEA for a long period will increase the levels of DHT. I have hereditary hair loss. Fortunately, I have not lost all of it and would like to retain whatever I have left, so I was just wondering if taking this supplement is fine or will it increase my DHT levels. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Serum levels of the adrenal androgen dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) peak in men at the third decade of life and decrease progressively with age. As doctors, we are coming across an increasing number of middle-aged and older individuals who consume over-the-counter preparations of DHEA, hoping it will retard aging by increasing muscle and bone mass and strength, decreasing fat, and improving immunologic and neurobehavioral functions.

Because DHEA can serve as a precursor to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), so may pose a cancer risk in developing occult prostate cancer. I would advise you to stop such over-the-counter supplements. We can manage hereditary hair loss, this is not a healthy solution, plus it may not guarantee progression of male pattern hair loss. I hope this was helpful.

|