Diplopia

How is a sudden vision disturbance in the lazy eye treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a congenital left lazy eye, which wanders outwards and upwards. This is managed by prism glasses, currently 7 base vertically and 2 horizontally. I am managing my eye strain and daily life well in general. I do however have occasional episodes, which are not manageable. Sometimes, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Lazy eye is not congenital. It is acquired due to the presence of anisometropia (difference in the refractive status of both eyes) or due to squint or due to congenital cataract or ptosis, etc. Sometimes, lazy eye tends to move out to lead to squint and for that prism ...  Read Full »

What causes double vision after an accident?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 16 years old. She met with an accident and got an injury on her face. It was operated by a maxillofacial surgeon. The upper portion of the right eye is red. She can open her eye, but she is having double vision. What to do?  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Redness could be due to subconjunctival hemorrhage. It usually resolves without treatment. Diplopia could be due to nerve palsy. In this case we usually observe the patient for six months for spontaneous recovery. Another less common cause could be muscle entrapment in fr...  Read Full »

Will eye glasses help in fixing monocular diplopia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have bilateral monocular diplopia. This began five months ago along with unilateral tinnitus of the left ear. Tinnitus is constant. Eyesight is rapidly deteriorating. I had several new glasses prescriptions that help slightly with the double vision but are not completely resolved. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no need to panic about your brain. The double vision is not related to any neurological disorder. Anyway, I would recommend checking the thyroid hormone levels. Regarding the tinnitus, it seems to be related to an inner ear infection as there is a pre...  Read Full »

Can my diplopia be a sign of MS?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23 years old female. Can you please explain to me the clinical presentation of decompensated phoria? I have had diplopia for over two years now, binocular, horizontal, worse on distant gaze. I have had an MRI as well, but no lesions found in my brain stem or other areas. Only a f...  Read Full »

Dr. Anand

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Diplopia for distance vision is more common in neurological conditions. If you do not have any neurological problems (ruled out by MRI), other problems can be considered. In your case, as you have high myopia, it can be due to decompensated tropia (phoria). In myopia, t...  Read Full »

Can squint surgery help treat diplopia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old male with a history of closed globe injury in the right eye 10 years ago. At that time, my vision in the right eye was hand movements only and I was diagnosed with a macular injury. Three months later, my vision slowly improved to 6/36. However, my right eye started...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Agarwal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Diplopia is occurring definitely due to squinting because, in this, the image which is formed will be defocussed. It has occurred secondary to the trauma. The only remedy is to correct it by surgery. If it would have been due to other causes which were intrinsic t...  Read Full »

Can an acoustic neuroma cause headaches?

Query: Hello,I am a 52 year old female with a 2 mm acoustic neuroma on the right side. There is no hearing loss, but I do have dizziness, imbalance, pulsatile tinnitus. Also, an essential tremor developed seven years ago. I get migraines with aura occasionally. Ten months ago, I developed a coccyx pain whi...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. You need to ask your neuro-ophthalmologist the following questions: What he suspects about the nature of the acoustic neuroma? Is there an involvement of the ophthalmic nerve or of any other nerve supplying the eye musc...  Read Full »