Q. What is the reason for double vision following an accident?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2020

My daughter is 16 years old. She met with an accident and got an injury on her face. It was operated by a maxillofacial surgeon. The upper portion of the right eye is red. She can open her eye, but she is having double vision. What to do?

#

• Redness could be due to subconjunctival hemorrhage. It usually resolves without treatment.
  • Diplopia could be due to nerve palsy. In this case we usually observe the patient for six months for spontaneous recovery.
  • Another less common cause could be muscle entrapment in fracture bone. As she got operated by maxillofacial surgeon the chances for muscle entrapment are less.
  • Having said that it would be better if you can send her medical records and her eye photos. These will help me in guiding you better.

Revert back with the medical records and photos to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

When she tries to open her left eye, she is complaining of pain. Why?

#

• Actually, this is a case of blunt trauma. In blunt trauma, any part of the eye may be affected.
  • A common non-serious issue causing pain is traumatic uveitis, which can be easily treated with a mild steroid eye drop.
  • I would request you have a complete comprehensive eye check up at your place.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|