Q. I made a bad dance move that resulted in few slipped discs. Will I be able to dance again?

Dr. Sivasankar Reddy

I am 38 years old, and I made a bad dance move with my back, and that resulted in a few slipped discs. The tingling, numbness (whole body but mostly left side) went away after about 5-6 days. The weakness in the arms (when raising the elbows, usually when I sit or lie down) went away a few days after that. I am at two weeks now past the incident. My question is, in about a month after finishing my physical therapy, should I be able to return to dance. The CT (computed tomography) scan results showed minimal disc protrusions on C3-C4, C4-C5, C6-C7, L4-L5, L5-S1, degenerative disc at C5-C6. All the doctors I have seen said, you do not worry about it. It is not serious, and after a few weeks, you can go back to normal. But how do I know what is safe for me to do when I dance and what is not safe as I never had any problems until now?

#

Because of abnormal posture, this can happen. That weakness and tingling are primarily transient, and no need to worry. If you do an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) for the normal individual, also there will be a minimal disc problem. You can prevent this by avoiding few postures like bending forward, lifting weights, avoid long journeys, avoid landing on to the head and back. Avoid the above-mentioned positions for some time and do back strengthening exercises. And also, observe the position which will cause pain while dancing, do not do that.

If minimal disc problems are also common for a normal individual, what do you think caused my tingling, numbness, and weakness problems? It happened after I practiced this quick roll with my back 10-20 times.

#

With abnormal positions, there is a disc bulge, spinal canal narrowing, and that can cause numbness and tingling sensation. No need to worry these transient symptoms will not recur. If an abnormal position persists, then that disc bulge can progress.

|