Q. What are the treatment options for posterior disk herniation indenting the thecal sac?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

At C5-C6, there was a broad-based central posterior disc herniation indenting the thecal sac. I have tingling pain, stiffness, and burning sensation in my hands. Numbness and tingling down both arms and headaches are also present. I am currently taking tablet Naproxen as needed. What are the options for treatment? Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

The treatment options you have are medical or surgical. Medical treatment requires a long-term dedication to weight loss, postural changes, frequent doctor visits, and regular physiotherapy and pain killers on as and when needed. But the biggest advantage of medical treatment is avoiding surgery, and surgery is a big risk to take. On the other hand, surgery will be an easier option for hard work and time. However, it carries a big risk of damage to surrounding nerves and may do more harm than good. All in all, surgery itself has a lot of complications. Now I would suggest you try medical management initially. If medical management fails to control the symptoms, then go for surgery. Medical treatment is always a preferred one over surgical treatment.

|