Q. Why is there tingling and numbness in arm and hand during sleep?

I have tingling and numbness in the arm and hand, particularly when I wake up from sleep. The right arm evidently has significant ulnar nerve conduction problems. Is there any evidence of nerve conduction problems in the left arm as well because I also have tingling and numbness in that arm at times? Currently, I am on Aloe vera 1-0-1 for blood pressure and cholesterol and Januvia for diabetes.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

To help you better, I need to correlate your attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) with your clinical symptoms. Also, mention if you have got your thyroid profile checked.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Every night I wake up with a numb right arm. Occasionally, my left arm is also numb. I am sleep deprived because of this. The local doctors have suggested surgery on my right ulnar nerve to release compression as it is entrapped and working at 65%. They say this should stop the nightly numbness. I am not convinced as my left arm also has numbness at night. None of this nightly numbness occurs when I am sleeping on that arm. The purpose of me asking about the nerve conduction result on the right arm was to find out if there is carpel tunnel in the left arm, as the report did not mention this. It only mentioned the right arm ulnar nerve problem. I feel that something else is causing all this numbness at night as I do not get it in the day. I have read that it may be caused by circulation issues in the arms when I am in REM sleep, and my blood pressure is lower than normal. It always happens in the early morning, and it wakes me up. I feel that something is happening during my sleep cycle to cause all this. I have not had any thyroid tests in the past few years.

#

First of all get your thyroid profile done. Diabetes and thyroid are very commonly associated with these compression radiculopathies. My advice would be to discuss with your doctor to start you on Pregabalin and Methylcobalamine combination for a few weeks and if you do not get the relief, then surgery can be considered.

|