Q. Is it advisable to get surgery for slipped disc?

Dr. Pankaj Jain
Published on Sep 28, 2019

I am an 18-year-old girl and I have a slipped or bulged disk in my lower back. I have had this injury going on for four months. I have been through physical therapy and that did not work. My doctor was talking to me about surgery. So I researched and found a surgery where they go in and cut the disk off that is bulging out. It is an open discectomy I believe. I was wondering what the risks are. Could I possibly get paralyzed? Are there any cases of getting paralyzed? How long would I be off my feet?

Dr. Pankaj Jain

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Surgery for bulging disc is only indicated if pain in back is servere and not relieved by physiotherapy, then you need fusion surgery or if you have moderate to severe leg pain because of nerve compression causing decreased mobility, then you need discectomy.

Chances of getting paralysis after surgery are very low may be around 1 in 100 but other smaller problems after surgery are common. So, if pain is bad and is affecting your day to day activities then only you should think of surgery.

Is operation of disc necessary or can it be done by exercise?

Query: Hello doctor,Is operation of the disc necessary or can it be done by exercise?  Read Full >>

Dr. Mohan Krishna

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Surgery on disc problem is not must unless they are compressing the nerve and causing weakness in both legs and you lose control over urine and passing stools. If it is a mild compression, you can manage with exercise and meditation. In some cases, you can try the lumba...  Read Full

I have cervical radiculopathy which causes tingling sensation in my fingers. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,A month ago I was diagnosed with cervical radiculopathy by an ER doctor. Since then, I have seen my PCP I have had X-rays and an MRI done. I have an appointment with the neurosurgeon on the after 10 ten days. I have been prescribed a Flexeril and Naproxen. I am still in pain. The tingli...  Read Full >>

Dr. Tony Magana
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms you describe could be consistent with a cervical disc problem but are not specific to how severe it might be. Numbness of the face is usually associated with disc problems in the neck, although I have seen patients complain about it in the past. The phys...  Read Full

Can exercise improve muscles that are affected by nerve damage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 65 years old, male, otherwise in good health but BMI around 31. I have a damaged spinal cord at C4 (due to disk herniation) and had anterior discectomy with fusion in 14 years back. I have had left sided peripheral neuropathy since my surgery (15 years). All sensory, no motor iss...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and reviewed your uploaded test reports and would explain that physical activity is important to maintain a normal muscle force and avoid muscle stiffness due to a damaged spinal cord. Regarding neuropathy, maybe it cannot help improve ...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now