Q. Is it advisable to get surgery for slipped disc?

Dr. Pankaj Jain

I am an 18-year-old girl and I have a slipped or bulged disk in my lower back. I have had this injury going on for four months. I have been through physical therapy and that did not work. My doctor was talking to me about surgery. So I researched and found a surgery where they go in and cut the disk off that is bulging out. It is an open discectomy I believe. I was wondering what the risks are. Could I possibly get paralyzed? Are there any cases of getting paralyzed? How long would I be off my feet?

#

Surgery for bulging disc is only indicated if pain in back is servere and not relieved by physiotherapy, then you need fusion surgery or if you have moderate to severe leg pain because of nerve compression causing decreased mobility, then you need discectomy.

Chances of getting paralysis after surgery are very low may be around 1 in 100 but other smaller problems after surgery are common. So, if pain is bad and is affecting your day to day activities then only you should think of surgery.

|