Q. Though I am not pregnant or feeding, I get discharge from nipples. Why?

Dr. Deepali Raina

I am 29 years old. One year back I had a miscarriage. Now I am not pregnant and not feeding. But when I press my nipples white and some times clear secretions are coming. I do not have any pain and I am having regular periods and sometimes 3 days and sometimes 5 days flow will be there and sudden fatigue is there. Is this breast cancer or any problem? Can you prefer any test?

#

It looks like a clear case of hyperprolactinemia. The hormone prolactin or TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) may be raised. Go for serum prolactin and TSH levels and further treatment will be based on the reports. You may go for a breast ultrasound also just to be more careful.

My blood report shows:

Hb - 12 g/dL

Pcv - 3

Esr - 30

Serum prolaction - 24.49 ng/ml

TSH - 2.12 ulu/ml.

What is the problem in my report?

#

Your prolactin levels seem to be within limits. I do not know how old these reports are but you may go for fresh tests from a different lab. Go for fresh prolactin and also a full thyroid profile including free T3 and T4 in addition to TSH. USG breast may be done as an additional precaution.

The treatment is tablet Cabergoline 0.25 twice a week for six weeks. This drug however should be taken under direct supervision of your doctor with a prescription.

These reports are taken five days back only and my thyroid profile is also within limits only.

#

Then take Cabergolin as prescribed for six weeks and wait for the symptoms to go. In case the symptoms persist then go for USG breast. In case you are taking any ayurvedic or homeopathic or similar drugs please stop them as soon as possible.

|