Q. Will continuing pregnancy along with IUD increase the chance of Down's syndrome in fetus?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 30, 2020

I am 16 weeks and 6 days pregnant with a copper IUD still in the womb. I have done a quad test at 15 weeks and 6 days which came back with a high risk of down syndrome (1 in 5).

Results were:

AFP 33 kU/L (1.17 mom).

Inhibin-A 430 pg/mL (1.99 mom).

HcG 157 ku/L (5.40 mom).

UE3UPD 0.8 nmol/L (0.34 mom).

I will be 25 years and 1 month for the DD (11th of December), no smoker, no diabetes. Can you help me understand my result and can the copper IUD which is still in the womb affect those results?

#

Your age, your history of being non-smoker and the absence of diabetes puts you in the low-risk category for Down's syndrome (unless you have a family history), but the results of ur quadruple test point to a high risk of Down syndrome. This is only a screening test. An ultrasound to detect any anomalies can be carried out and also for confirmation amniocentesis with karyotyping has to be done.

Amniocentesis is basically an invasive technique where amniotic fluid (liquor around the baby) is aspirated under sterile conditions under ultrasound guidance and the fluid obtained is used to do karyotyping which will show whether the baby has the Down's syndrome chromosome. Since it is an invasive procedure there are risks which you should discuss with your gynecologist.

Also, the presence of IUD (intrauterine device) does not increase the risk of Downs nor does it affect the quadruple test. Hence stay strong and discuss your options with your gynecologist.

|