Q. Can you guide me on the pros and cons of using a copper-T?

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

I would like to know whether it is safe to use an i-pill in a span of seven days? We had protected sex last week and I took an i-pill immediately after the intercourse. We again had sex yesterday. I did not use any oral contraceptives but my husband did use condoms. Just to be on the safer side can I take an i-pill today? It has not been 24 hours as of yet. Please advise. Kindly also guide me on the pros and cons of using a copper-T as I am thinking of getting one may be for a period of four to five years. Does it have any harmful effects?

#

• You have taken double precaution with use of an i-pill and also barrier contraceptive that is a condom. Since you have taken the pill twice, this may disturb your cycle otherwise you are protected from getting pregnant most likely.
  • It is not wise to use this pill again and again as it is meant for emergency use only.
  • It is better to take oral contraceptive pills regularly for 21 days and as you have decided about copper-T, it is fine to use one.
  • Multiload 375 IUD (intrauterine device) is available and its effect lasts for five years. As such there are no side effects.
  • Your doctor will examine you first and if there is no evidence of any pelvic infection, she will insert the same.
  • Sometimes, there can be some pain or irregular bleeding for a few cycles but nothing to worry. It settles with treatment.
  • The only thing is that keep on checking its thread and keep a regular followup with your doctor.

Thanks.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|