Q. Is it advisable to go for copper-T for hormonal imbalance and menstrual disorder?

Dr. Vidya
Published on Apr 19, 2018

My sister was experiencing irregular periods and sometimes bleeding was heavy during the menstrual period. We consulted a gynecologist. She suggested taking pelvis scan where they observed that endometrium line became thick. They informed that it was due to hormonal imbalance. Later we approached an endocrinologist where she has advised us some hormonal tests (prolactin, testosterone, thyroid tests). It seems the report was normal. For the past two months, she is taking Meprate 10 mg tablet from the 16th day to 25th day of menstrual cycle. And the subsequent falling period is normal. However, during the recent review with the gynecologist, she has advised taking full abdomen scan with the pelvis and there are no findings. Even the endometric layer is normal. Hence she came to an opinion like menstrual disorder is due to hormonal imbalance. The doctor advised undergoing for copper-T which is the only solution for hormonal imbalance and menstrual disorder. The endocrinologist said reports are fine. Both the statements are contrary. We are just confused to go ahead with the copper-T process. Please see the reports and kindly provide us the detailed clarification on this.

Dr. Vidya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I do not think the doctor has advised copper-T. I think she would have advised intrauterine hormonal device called LNG (Levonorgestrel) which contains hormone progesterone. It will regularise the cycles and control heavy flow and need not take oral medicines. It is up to you to take the advice. As she is getting regular cycles now, you may wait. However, if the bleeding is heavier and any disturbances in the cycle, then go for the device.

Also, a D and C (dilation and curettage) for endometrial evaluation and histopathology is advisable to rule out other causes like endometrial hyperplasia and the likes.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I have a few more queries for which I would like you to clarify. How safe is it? Will she feel comfortable once after fixing it? How much time does the process take? Will she be normal to go back to her regular and routine work immediately once the process completed? Could you please suggest any blood test to confirm the reasons for this hormonal imbalance as we have taken only USG full abdomen scan. I am waiting to receive the detailed answers to all my queries. Your reply will help us to understand the information. Thank you

Dr. Vidya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It is quite safe, and most women tolerate it well. Some may experience irregular and heavy bleed. We can always remove it if it does not suit her. No need for any further blood tests.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Can I Get Pregnant with PCOS?

Article Overview: With the right treatment and a healthy lifestyle, even women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) have high chances of getting pregnant. To know more, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Pari Bansari

PCOS (polycystic ovaries syndrome) is quite challenging and frustrating. Most women do not seek help until they get menstrual irregularity and have a problem in getting pregnant. The good news is, with the right treatment and healthy lifestyle, women with PCOS have high chances of getting pregnant. ...  Read Article

Can Mirena IUD cause irregular periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a Mirena IUD in for three years. I had regular monthly periods, which will last for two to four days and usually very light. Four months back, it lasted for 12 days and was heavier than normal. It was almost orange in color. I missed a period the following month then had a ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mirena IUD (Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine device) secretes progesterone which could cause a diverse manifestations including unscheduled bleeding or no bleeding or bloating. As this IUD has crossed three years, you may face these types of on and off phenomenon....  Read Full

Will using Restreta tablet for three months cause hormonal imbalance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old girl. I have very dry and dull skin. My dermatologist recommended me to use Restreta tablet for improving my complexion. I have to take it twice in a day before a meal. I want to know whether there will be any hormonal imbalance because of this tablet. Is it safe fo...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sangeeth Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Restreta (Glutathione, Collagen, and L-cysteine) contains Glutathione which is an antioxidant. It effectively prevents melanin synthesis in the skin which helps in skin lightening. It is available in oral and injection form. Oral capsules do not produce much of a cha...  Read Full