Q. Is it advisable to go for copper-T for hormonal imbalance and menstrual disorder?

Dr. Vidya

My sister was experiencing irregular periods and sometimes bleeding was heavy during the menstrual period. We consulted a gynecologist. She suggested taking pelvis scan where they observed that endometrium line became thick. They informed that it was due to hormonal imbalance. Later we approached an endocrinologist where she has advised us some hormonal tests (prolactin, testosterone, thyroid tests). It seems the report was normal. For the past two months, she is taking Meprate 10 mg tablet from the 16th day to 25th day of menstrual cycle. And the subsequent falling period is normal. However, during the recent review with the gynecologist, she has advised taking full abdomen scan with the pelvis and there are no findings. Even the endometric layer is normal. Hence she came to an opinion like menstrual disorder is due to hormonal imbalance. The doctor advised undergoing for copper-T which is the only solution for hormonal imbalance and menstrual disorder. The endocrinologist said reports are fine. Both the statements are contrary. We are just confused to go ahead with the copper-T process. Please see the reports and kindly provide us the detailed clarification on this.

#

I do not think the doctor has advised copper-T. I think she would have advised intrauterine hormonal device called LNG (Levonorgestrel) which contains hormone progesterone. It will regularise the cycles and control heavy flow and need not take oral medicines. It is up to you to take the advice. As she is getting regular cycles now, you may wait. However, if the bleeding is heavier and any disturbances in the cycle, then go for the device.

Also, a D and C (dilation and curettage) for endometrial evaluation and histopathology is advisable to rule out other causes like endometrial hyperplasia and the likes.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I have a few more queries for which I would like you to clarify. How safe is it? Will she feel comfortable once after fixing it? How much time does the process take? Will she be normal to go back to her regular and routine work immediately once the process completed? Could you please suggest any blood test to confirm the reasons for this hormonal imbalance as we have taken only USG full abdomen scan. I am waiting to receive the detailed answers to all my queries. Your reply will help us to understand the information. Thank you

#

It is quite safe, and most women tolerate it well. Some may experience irregular and heavy bleed. We can always remove it if it does not suit her. No need for any further blood tests.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|