Q. Is taking 350 mg of Unisom safe or lethal?

Dr. Penchilaprasad Kandikattu

My friend took a little more sleeping aid than usual (not suicidal) and I was wondering whether 350 mg of Unisom (Doxylamine succinate) is safe or lethal. He is showing signs of being super sleepy. He has a history of depression and drug addiction.

#

The usual dose of Doxylamine succinate as an antihistamine will not exceed greater than 60 mg per day.

Excessive dose may cause CNS (central nervous system) depression, palpitations, tachycardia, disorientation, dizziness, drowsiness, headache, paradoxical central nervous system stimulation, vertigo, anorexia, constipation, diarrhea, dry mucous membranes, epigastric pain, xerostomia, dysuria, urinary retention, blurred vision and diplopia. So, there is no specific antidote treatment and symptomatic support may be required. If it is severe CNS depression, it can lead to coma. So, please consult your doctor immediately. He will examine and treat him accordingly.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|