Q. My lowered left brow is causing droopy eyelids. Will blepharoplasty help?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

I always had a lower left brow causing the lid to appear more droopy than the right side. However, the skin on the left side has recently become thinner in the past year I would say, causing less of my lid to appear and I feel a sensation now on that eye like something is sitting on my lid. I am only 18 so I feel like I should not be having any issues with my eyes yet.

However, I did have Hashimoto's and thyroid cancer and got the thyroid removed and all of my thyroid levels have been stable since then. However, the skin on my left lid never went back to normal. Also, I feel like I might have a little bit of ptosis in both of my eyes, but it does not obstruct my vision. When I look back at old pictures when I was a baby up until the age of 12, my eyelids appear much more open. So is it normal for eyelids to droop as we age? I am currently on Synthroid.

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

You have explained your history nicely. You have not mentioned about photos. Both are recently taken or different. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

In the photos attached first one which is showing your lower lids down seems to be taken in a slightly down gaze. That is a normal thing. When we look down lower lid goes down with the eye. While in the second picture light reflex is central in both eyes and lower lids are in normal position. Your both upper lids are in a normal position. Normally upper lids cover 1-2 mm cornea superiorly. I would not say these as droopy lids.

While in cases of thyroid disease skin changes occur like skin thinning and dryness. So these sensations could be due to hypersensitive skin. For dryness of the skin around the eye or dry eyes, you can use artificial tears. It seems you are thinking too much about it. No significant changes are seen in your eyes or lids after seeing these photos.

Just relax. Nothing to worry about and you are absolutely fine. If these are older photos you can send the latest ones. And do not take photos yourself (selfies) because it is not taken in primary gaze (looking straight).

| 

I feel a lot better. I was wondering if it would be appropriate for me to receive a blepharoplasty in the near future to correct the excess skin on my left eyelid. Please let me know.

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I guess you are thinking too much about it may be all the time. I do not think you need any surgery. Blepharoplasty is for old aged about 50-60 years people who got extra skin hanging over the lids or who have fat pads prolapse (bags under lids). Your lids are beautiful and absolutely fine. Do not even think of this unless you have some problems. Just ignore everything and enjoy a relaxed life. When you keep on thinking the same it disturbs you. I think you have read alot on the internet about all this that is worrying you. Everything on the internet is not for you.

| 

I need some advise on how to make myself more pretty. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I do not really know what I need done, but I notice there is something slightly off with my face. I noticed that one side of my nose is more straight than the other. That is more curved and I am thinking that might be the problem, but you are the professional. So, I pretty much just n...  Read Full »

Is drooping eyelid related to Horner's syndrome?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 37-year-old, healthy male. I have attached three views of my eyes. The top one is 13 years old, the middle one and the bottom one are from today. As you can see I always had a bit of droopy left eye lid and its prominence depends on the angle of the view. Do you think this is c...  Read Full »

My eyelids seem to droop when I am relaxed. Could it be ptosis?

Query: Hi doctor, From the past 12 months, my eyelids seem to droop when in a normal or relaxed state. It takes an effort to perform any kind of activity. I am doing eye exercises, but their effects are temporary. My eyelids close even more often after I use mobile or laptop. Could it be ptosis? If yes, ...  Read Full »