Q. Is it safe to take Telma 40 and Dilzem tablets together?

Dr. Vivek Pillai
Published on Oct 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

My father recently underwent an operation on his right leg, that is, PFN. After the operation was performed, an echo was done on the 16th of last month. The echo pressure is 75 mmHg and RA-RV were dilated. So, the doctor suggested the following medicines:

• Dilzem SR twice a day.
  • Lexilactone half tablet in the morning.
  • Eliquis 5 mg twice a day.

On the 5th of this month, an echo was done again. The pressure was 40 mmHg and normal RA-RV. We consulted the doctor on the 17th, and he suggested the following medicines: 

• Dilzem SR 90 twice a day.
  • Equilis 5 mg twice a day.
  • Telma 40 at night.

Is it safe to take Telma 40 and Dilzem SR both tablets together as both lower the blood pressure? His BP is 126/80. Before the operation, my father took Telpress am 40 regularly.

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

• From the description of your father's echo findings over the last two months, it appears that he suffered a clot in the pulmonary arteries after his leg operation. The good news is that the treatment was ideal and he has responded well given his RA-RV are normal and pressures have dropped to 40 mmHg.
  • I would prefer to give Dilzem SR (Diltiazem) only once daily given that he is also on Telma (Telmisartan). You should just ask your doctor and tell him your concern.
  • Be ambulant. Do moderate exercise.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

If he takes Dilzem SR twice a day without taking Telma 40 at night, is it fine?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

• You can give Dilzem and observe him. If the BP is still above 140 mmHg, then I suggest you add Telma.

Why do I feel giddy while standing or walking?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 56 year old male. I am on BP medicine Cresar 40 since a month. Prior to that, I was on Aten 50. Now, my BP is around 130/100 mmHg and before it was 160/106 mmHg. When I take my walk or I am standing I feel giddy, probably for less than a second. It is more prevalent when I turn my...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is called postural hypotension. It is very common in hypertensive patients. I suggest you Telma H (Telmisartan and Hydrochlorothiazide) once daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent. Take normal salt ...  Read Full

I had high blood pressure and low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction?

Query: Hi doctor,I had high blood pressure, low heart rate. Is my ECG showing infarction? I have no chest pain. At the time of ECG, my blood pressure was 168/100 and heart beat 46.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your ECG (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The reports mentioned on ECG are machine generated and are frequently inaccurate. There is no clear-cut evidence of myocardial infarction on ECG. As you also do not have any history of ch...  Read Full

High Blood Pressure: Things You Need To Know!!

Article Overview: High blood pressure is a very common condition with serious consequences if left untreated. This article is aimed at providing basic knowledge about the causes, treatment, complications and prognosis of hypertension. Read Article

High Blood Pressure or Hypertension is a very common and serious condition which if untreated may lead to permanent and often fatal damage to various organs of the body including the heart, kidneys, brain and eyes. Hypertension means the pressure of the blood inside the blood vessels is higher than ...  Read Article