Drug Interactions

Does nail indentation indicate recurrence of cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 50-year-old female with stage 1A breast cancer history about seven years ago and treated surgically and with radiation on my right breast. I am on Tamoxifen daily. I was fine since. No other medical conditions. But I have noticed some indentations or slight depressions in my fi...  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the case. In my opinion, you are having melanonychia, but at the same time, you have applied nail color as well. There are a number of causes of such melanonychia in your case. It could be due to 1. Poor diet. 2. Vitamin B12 deficiency. 3...  Read Full »

Why do I have elevated platelet levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My platelets were 468 last month, and I repeated another full CBC. Everything else was fine, but my platelets were still 463 a month later. Is this something to worry about? I have fatty liver grade 1 and mild IBS. I also had a Coronavirus infection two months ago. Currently, I am on m...  Read Full »

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan

Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Elevated platelets indicate the following conditions: Grade 1 thrombocytosis: platelets 550-649. Grade 2 thrombocytosis: platelets 650-749. Grade 3 thrombocytosis: platelets 750-849. Grade 4 thrombocytosis: platelets 850-1099. Grade 5 thrombocytosis: plat...  Read Full »

Can a Clonazepam pill took a day before the allotted time cause any adverse effects?

Query: Hi doctor, I am worried since I took Clonazepam 0.5 mg for five days (48 hours between every pill except 22 hours after the last pill). My question is, can it have any adverse effects on my life from now on? Will I get memory loss or cognitive impairment? Will it damage my brain? BTW the pill did n...  Read Full »

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md

General Practitioner, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for getting in touch with us. As far as I do understand, you took the Clonazepam for five days. The dose was 0.5 mg per tablet. I can guarantee you that this has absolutely and in no way any long-term effects on your brain, on your body, or anything else. ...  Read Full »

Whenever my wife took Ambien and Accutane together, she had alcohol-like breath. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife has taken Ambien 5 mg, once or twice a week to get to sleep after a difficult day at work. She used to take the 5 mg without any problems, for almost a year. A couple of months ago, she started a course of Accutane. At first, she took 20 mg per day, now it is down to 10 mg per...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms are most likely due to an interaction between Accutane (Isotretinoin) and Ambien (Zolpidem). This could increase the levels of Ambien in the blood immediately after taking it. The symptoms are highly suggestive of an allergic reaction. She could either be ...  Read Full »

Is it possible for Lithium and Ibuprofen interaction to result in neurological toxicity?

Query: I want to know if it is possible for a young person (age 27) to experience neurological lithium toxicity WITHOUT showing evidence of kidney damage/problems. I have been taking 1200mg of Lithium for 5 years. Last year I suffered an injury which required regular pain management. I was told to take I...  Read Full »

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi. this is pure drug drug interaction which is well known with Lithium. in fact Lithium interacts with many drugs and is one of the drugs with narrow therapeutic index. Symptoms of Lithium toxicity can develop even in absence of kidney damage as they are mainly due to increased lithium concentratio...  Read Full »

Can dried basil and Acitrom be taken together?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife takes Acitrom 3 mg tablet daily. And, she also takes 1 teaspoon of dried basil with milk. Is it alarming? Do I need to stop her eating basil?  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com The interactions of basil with Acitrom (Acenocoumarol) have not been studied in detail. Hence, it is better not to take risk. Please ask her to stop basil. If you can tell me the reason why basil was taken, I can suggest you some alternatives, which are safe to be used alo...  Read Full »

What can cause vertigo, abdominal pain, headache, and nausea?

Query: over the past 20 hours ive had constant lightheadedness/vertigo, and during the day today ive gradually started feeling nauseous (no vomiting), abdominal pain/cramping, headache, neck stiffness. in the past week ive had some abdominal pain on/off and acid reflux, as well as headaches and general sor...  Read Full »

Dr. K Shanmuganandan

Rheumatologist, Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: hi, thanks for your query the temporal profile suggests mild ongoing inflammation, that is causing the problem. it could be subclinical inflammation and or infection like a stomach bug. also a possibility of drug intolerance. to amphe along with a drug interaction may be suspected. in addition ofc...  Read Full »

What are the side effects of taking 40 mg of Geodon accidentally?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom took 40 mg of Geodon accidentally and has also taken the following medicines that are on severe interaction list with Geodon in the last 24 hours. Zithromax, Codeine, thyroid medicines, Omeprazole, Triamterene and Hydrochlorothiazide. She is sleeping now for 3.5 hours after taki...  Read Full »

Dr. Danish Qureshi

Pharmacologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all Geodon (Ziprasidone) is a sedative drug used for insomnia. It decreases the sleep latency and increases the chances of falling asleep. Zithromax (Azithromycin) and food can increase its blood levels and may cause toxicity. Also, elderly patients are more pro...  Read Full »

Is it safe to use Foracort inhaler along with nebulizer in a 76-year-old patient?

Query: Hi doctor,My mother is 76 years old and has Alzheimer's for the last five years along with ischemic heart disease, hypothyroidism, and type 2 diabetes. Recently, she developed COPD. The doctor recommended Foracort 400 inhaler twice a day and Foracort 0.5 mg respules through nebulizer once a day alon...  Read Full »

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for your question. I can understand your concern. May I know her Alzheimer’s and IHD drugs. And, better not to take Foracort (Budesonide and Formoterol) three times a day. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your mother. Thanks.  Read Full »

Can Zoloft and Propranolol be taken together?

Query: Hello doctor, I took Zoloft and Inderal and noticed some interaction. I would like that to be explained to me. Is it safe to take both Propranolol oral and Sertraline oral at the same time? Will Propranolol oral increase the level or effect of Sertraline by altering drug metabolism?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Zoloft (Sertraline) and Inderal (Propranolol) are metabolized through same pathway in the liver. Zoloft reduces the metabolism of Inderal resulting in higher levels of Inderal in the body. What that means for you is that the dose of Inderal should be reduced while you ...  Read Full »