Drug Interactions

Can Zoloft and Propranolol be taken together?

Query: Hello doctor, I took Zoloft and Inderal and noticed some interaction. I would like that to be explained to me. Is it safe to take both Propranolol oral and Sertraline oral at the same time? Will Propranolol oral increase the level or effect of Sertraline by altering drug metabolism?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Zoloft (Sertraline) and Inderal (Propranolol) are metabolized through same pathway in the liver. Zoloft reduces the metabolism of Inderal resulting in higher levels of Inderal in the body. What that means for you is that the dose of Inderal should be reduced while you ...  Read Full »

Will Ashwagandha interfere with anesthesia during lymph node removal surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I did not realize my surgery would be so soon. I have been taking Ashwagandha and an Omega 3 supplement. I am having an enlarged lymph node removed in my neck under general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. Will it be safe to undergo this procedure under anesthesia in a few days?...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhishek Singh

Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Removal of a lymph node is not an extensive surgery. So, no need to worry much. As far as anesthetic risk is concerned, you may face the following problems because of your high BMI (body mass index). Difficult bag-mask ventilation. Difficult airway and intubation. ...  Read Full »

I would like to take Prozac but I am already on Ashwagandha. Is it fine to take them together?

Query: Hello doctor, I am taking 500 mg of Ashwagandha a day and would like to also take Prozac 20 mg with it to help. Are they ok to take together or should I avoid it?  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, take Ashwagandha 500 mg two times a day with water after food for anxiety for one month regularly. As you are advised to take Prozac 20 mg (Fluoxetine), you can take it as prescribed by your physician. But keep some time gap between Ashwagandha and Proz...  Read Full »

Can I take alpha-lipoic acid and L-lysine together?

Query: Hello doctor,Can I take alpha-lipoic acid and L-lysine together? Also, does L-lysine help in dizziness?  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand you are concerned about the drug to drug interactions and also L-lysine role in helping dizziness. L-lysine has no established role in helping with dizziness. Although there are some studies showing benefits to some extent, in patients with chronic anxie...  Read Full »

I am taking Risperidone along with Wellbutrin. Would not these cancel each other out?

Query: Hi doctor, I had two psychotic episodes last year and was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. I have recently prescribed Risperidone (1 mg) in combination with Wellbutrin (150 mg). One is a dopamine blocker while the other is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor. Would not these cancel each other o...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The short answer to your question is no. They do not cancel each other out. You may be aware that Risperidone (a dopamine antagonist) is prescribed as an antipsychotic and also helps to stabilize mood whereas Wellbutrin (Bupropion- norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake i...  Read Full »

What are the drugs incompatible with Quetiapine and Lamotrigine?

Query: Hi doctor, My query is regarding the incompatibility of Quetiapine and Lamotrigine with other groups of drugs. Now I have to get treatment for an anaerobic infection. I was prescribed Azithromycin, Clindamycin, Metronidazole and Mycomax. However, I will be extremely grateful if you list me all grou...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As such for Lamotrigine following drug interactions need to be considered as important. Valproate increases plasma level of Lamotrigine, hence dose need to be decreased if given with Valproate. Also there are increased chances of rash if given with Valproate. Ant...  Read Full »

Is it safe to pair Gabapentin with Metoclopramide?

Query: Hello doctor, I suffer from chronic migraines, and I take Gabapentin, 1800 mg daily for prevention. Recently, a GP recommended Metoclopramide, 30 mg daily to help with nausea, but I have yet to take it, as I am concerned about the combination. Is this a safe pair of drugs to use together? Thank you...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. I would like to state that Gabapentin and Metoclopramide have no major interactions and can be taken together. However, there are reports of increased side effects such as giddiness and sedation. Some of the individuals with...  Read Full »

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. There are no drug interactions between Pantoprozole and Diclofenac (Voltaren). In fact, anyone who takes painkillers like Diclofenac has to take Pantoprazole to prevent Diclofenac-induced gastritis. So, relax and take the regular dose of Pa...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics reduce the effect of Oral Contraceptive Pills?

Query: Hello doctor, I am using OCP Crisanta 21 for the last six months. Two weeks back, I went for a tooth extraction. So, I took antibiotic Magniclav 625 mg for five days. I had two tablets a day from 15th to 20th of last month. I started my current Crisanta pack on the 16th of last month. My question i...  Read Full »

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Childbirth Educator, Lactation Counselor, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. While some antibiotics do induce hepatic enzymes to decrease the efficacy of contraceptive pills, Amoxicillin is not one of them and can be safely used without the fear of contraceptive failure. However, it is important to stick to the contraceptive schedule. If you have...  Read Full »

What medicine should I avoid while taking Lithium and Quetiapine?

Query: Hi doctor, I am on Lithium 600 mg per day and Quetiapine 300 mg per day. I would like to know what kind of food, beverages and medicines I should avoid.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding Lithium: Medications for depression (antidepressant drugs) interact with it. Do not take Lithium if you are taking medications for depression. Some of these medications include SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) like Fluoxetine and others in the s...  Read Full »