Q. I have a dry cough which gets worse at night. Please suggest a cure.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 27, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I am 10 weeks pregnant and have developed a chesty dry cough. It is particularly bad when I lie down to sleep at night. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it?

#

• Your primary complaint is a dry cough, especially on lying down. So, I would suggest to first rule out a cardiac cause. In medical terms, a cough and breathlessness on lying down is called paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea (PND) and is due to shifting of the fluid from the legs to the central areas like lungs causing a cough and breathlessness.
  • It can occur during pregnancy as well because of an increase in the fluid volume. I would suggest a cardiovascular examination by a physician or cardiologist.
  • Mean while you should take Levocetirizine 5 mg at bed time. It is safe during pregnancy. However, it will cause sedation. It will help in case of an allergic cough.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for your reply. It is definitely nothing more serious than a chesty cough. My young nephew had one and I picked it up from him. I also cough during the day. It is just worse at night. Do you think I still need to see my doctor or are there some medicines I could take?

#

• Well, since you said it increases at night once you lie down, I suspected that. If you have it during the day in sitting and upright position as well, then it is allergic in nature and as I mentioned previously Levocetirizine 5 mg at bed time will take care of it.
  • But, because you are pregnant and the cough has lasted more than a week now, I suggest you get examined by your doctor.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|