Dyspnea

Is it safe for my girlfriend to fly with shortness of breath due to the history of COVID-19?

Query: Hello doctor, My girlfriend wants to fly back home. She is 24 years, and no health issues and no medications. She had COVID-19 and was positive one month ago. But she was tested negative two weeks ago. Now she is suffering from shortness of breath after walking and fatigue. Is it safe for her to fl...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your girlfriend has been suffering from shortness of breath after walking and fatigue. She had had COVID-19 one month back. Having shortness of breath should not stop your girlfriend from ...  Read Full »

I have a dry cough which gets worse at night. Please suggest a cure.

Query: Hi doctor,I am 10 weeks pregnant and have developed a chesty dry cough. It is particularly bad when I lie down to sleep at night. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your primary complaint is a dry cough, especially on lying down. So, I would suggest to first rule out a cardiac cause. In medical terms, a cough and breathlessness on lying down is called paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea (PND) and is due to shifting of the fluid from the...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest treatment for unilateral paralysis of the diaphragm.

Query: Hi doctor, What health implications have been observed with a unilateral paralysis of the diaphragm? I have had a plication performed, but it failed and is back to the original issue. Currently, I am suffering from shortness of breath, chest pain with dizzy spells and increased heart rate. I am on P...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Unilateral diaphragmatic paralysis is most commonly seen on the left side. The diaphragm is the most important muscle of ventilation. Unilateral diaphragmatic paralysis is usually well tolerated if there is no underlying lung or rib cage pathology. But, if severe, then it...  Read Full »

Why do I get sudden shortness of breath with sharp pains?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old female. I am 185 lbs and 5 feet inches in height. I have never had allergies or asthma. About six months ago, I started having shortness of breath, wheezing and the feeling that my air was not catching. I have sudden sharp pains that feel like something wanting to b...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to the icliniq.com. Before labeling dyspnea from a panic attack (psychological cause), all organic causes need to be ruled out. Your chest x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and sputum examination are normal, hence, infective etiology is less likely. To rule out ...  Read Full »

I have shortness of breath and numbness in arms in the morning. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male, who weighs 115 lbs and I am 5.10 feet tall. I woke up after an hour of sleep with shortness of breath and numbness in my right arm. I have been suffering from a cold, for a week now. Five days ago I boarded a flight, I got congested during the first leg of the...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would give my opinion regarding this, but it may not be the final diagnosis as I have not examined you. Shortness of breath after lying down for an hour implies there is a pulmonary congestion, that is pooling of blood in lungs due to weakened heart. It is called ort...  Read Full »

During oxygen therapy, is it necessary to check oxygen saturation?

Query: Hello doctor, Is it necessary to check oxygen saturation if the patient is on oxygen for shortness of breath?  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you said that patient needs oxygen for shortness of breath, it is absolutely not required to measure the oxygen saturation all the time. But, if dyspnea (shortness of breath) is due to COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) that is due to excessive smoking,...  Read Full »

Shortness of breath and sweating on doing exercise

Query: Hi doctor, My problem started three years back for the first time when I started taking dumbbells for exercise. As I did not know from how much weight should I start, I took 20 kg (10 kg in each hands). Within a week of exercise I felt shortness of breath and so I stopped doing it and visited a doct...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for consulting me at this platform. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns. I think you need to carry out taking the same medication as this is a mandatory medication. Exercise induced asthma may also cause s...  Read Full »

Shortness of breath and anemia

Query: Hello doctor, I have: Shortness of breath and ongoing anemia since giving birth. Bruising stomach, right arm and behind the chest. Painful legs. I am attaching files.  Read Full »

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Shortness of breath can occur secondary to anemia postpartum and are interrelated. However, bruising of arm and stomach may indicate underlying coagulopathy or embolic phenomena secondary to deep vein thrombosis. On observations in the contrast CT scan attached as abov...  Read Full »

Why do I have tachycardia and dyspnea at night?

Query: Hi doctor, I have tachycardia, and dyspnea at night. It causes sleep disturbance. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. High tachycardia and dyspnea at night are also called paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea. These are indicators of cardiac disease. Few basic tests of cardiology should be done to rule out coronary artery disease or congestive cardiac failure or arrhythmia. 2 D echocardiogram ...  Read Full »

Why am I getting out of breath so quick?

Query: Hi doctor, I do around 8000 to 10000 steps a day. But it is not continuous. I drive everywhere. When I tend to walk anywhere, I get out of breath quick. I had my ECG and echocardiogram checked with Holter monitor. All the reports were normal. I have a peak flow of 67 liters per minute which is good....  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your respiratory and cardiac workup is normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The tests you have investigated is fine. So cardiac and respiratory cause seems less likely. Now for dyspnea, check your CBC (complete blood count) report to rule out anemia...  Read Full »