Q. My daughter gets dry cough for the past two weeks without fever. Please help.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

I need help for my daughter, who has been coughing (dry cough) for almost two weeks. No other symptoms were noted. She is eating well, and no other family member is sick. She is 28 years old and does not have any other medical condition. We have been giving her Vitamin C and zinc (1000 mg). No other medicines are given as I would like to get a doctor's opinion first. Cough is not present all the time, only at certain times of the day, more often during the night.

#

I saw your complaints, and I am concern about it.

If she has dry cough alone and there are no other symptoms like breathing problems, I would recommend you take cough syrup and drink lukewarm water for the next few days.

You can take Corex syrup (it contains Codeine) 5 ml three to four times a day and do not drink water after taking it. If there is difficulty breathing while coughing, you can take syrup Tixylix D (Phenylephrine, Chlorpheniramine, Dextromethorphan). Choose any one accordingly. If normal cough, take the first one. Suppose if cough with difficulty take the second one 5 ml two to three times a day for the next five days.

Corex is not available in my country. Is there any other drug she can take?

#

Yes, you can take any syrup which contains Codeine. Take 5 ml four times a day. If you do not find that take any syrup that contains Dextromethorphan 30 mg 5 ml four times a day. They are available over the counter.

|